Wiil the Tar Heels be able to keep Blake Griffin away from the basket on Sunday? He almost cut himself on the glass last night in the Sooners’ win over Johnny Flynn and Syracuse. That kid is a monster, but North Carolina may have more balance than Oklahoma, I guess we’ll see on Sunday.
Are the Tar Heels deeper than the Sooners? Ed Davis is playing just about as much as Deon Thompson these days and Larry Drew II got some key minutes in Friday night’s win over Gonzaga. Bobby Frasor isn’t flashy, but he is steady and the Heels will need that and more if they are to move on to the Final Four.
Many of the experts have said the Tar Heels have missed Marcus Ginyard and his stellar defense, but it hasn’t bit them on the Heel so far. People throughout our state will be glued to their sets and seats on Sunday afternoon with 65% of the fans cheering on the Heels and the other 35% reciting their ABC’s.
Friday night’s win from theacc.com:
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) – Flawless at the start and composed throughout, Ty Lawson and North Carolina breezed to another regional final.
Lawson scored 17 of his 19 points in the first half, and the top-seeded Tar Heels routed Gonzaga 98-77 in the South Regional on Friday night. They’ll play second-seeded Oklahoma on Sunday for a berth in the Final Four.
Tyler Hansbrough added 24 points and 10 rebounds for North Carolina, which won its 99th NCAA tournament game, breaking a tie with Kentucky for the most by any school.
Wayne Ellington scored 19 points and Danny Green added 13 for the Tar Heels (31-4), who reached the regional finals for the third straight year.
Jeremy Pargo led Gonzaga (28-6) with 16 points.