from our Greensborosports.com staff and key girl’s basketball contributors….We’ll do more on our other teams in the area, as we approach the season and if any teams are missing in our first report, we will have them up later on, in a seperate preview, since some of contributors work directly with those teams….Here’s what we have so far and you are invited to add to the current content and listings…..
1. Dudley: Has many collge prospects that are led by UNC-Charlotte signee Desiree Drayton and Radford signee Kierra McIvor. They are the deepest and most talented team in the county as well as the State. They have such notables as Chell Jackson, Lauren Jackson, Mo Davis, KK Rouse, Grimsley transfer and former All Conference player Denika Hardin. The x factor is Ebony Goins.
2. Southwest Guilford: This team is poise to make a great run at the State
Championship. They are led by Guilford County First Team performer Zena Lovette and a fierce inside presence of third teamer Shannon Buchannan. They return several starters from last year.
3. Northern Guilford: Whenever you have Elon signee, Big Sam Cofer roaming the
middle and now her sister whom some are saying may have greater potential, you have a great nucleus to start with. Look for great contributions from Alexis Robinson and a host of several players that played last year. They should walk through their conference and advance very deep into the playoffs.
4. Southeast Guilford: This team is loaded with talent. They have second team All
Guilford and Wingate signee Alyshia Mcneil along with the ever improving sophomore Kenya Hailey. If Brittany Price returns to at least 85% from her knee injury, this team could surpass Dudley.
5. Page: This team made great strides last year by winning 17 games. Now the
expectations are higher. Brittany Drew has three years of varsity experience and
should provide the scoring that they need. Much heralded Freshmen Paris Kea whom many are comparing to Jasmine Gill must live up to the billings for Page to compete in a very tough conference.
6. Northwest Guilford: Now is the time for Harmony White to shine. She has been in the shadows of Bennett and McIntosh through out her Highschool career. It is rumored that Darlene Joyner has some pretty good players over there that are waiting for the season to get started.
7. Smith: This could be a better year for Smith whom have lost the services of All
Conference performers in Ashley Debose and Maryland Eastern Shore signee Lakendra Wilkerson. They still have Quan Greer whom is a very good and solid player that should have a stellar year. They could be a major surprise just like their football team whom had an excellent year.
8. Western Guilford: It begins and ends with All Conference and Third Team All
Guilford Brittany Clancy. She has her stamp on that program. If she could get some more productive help from many other players now that Gardner Webb signee Catrina Green is gone, this team could finish in the upper echelon of their division. Could upset a SWG in an early game mathcup.
9. Ragsdale: Always have had a winning tradition and it should not stop now. Cierra Jackson roams the middle and swaps away everything near her. Will compete for conference title.
10. Grimsley: Is under new management and a new attitude now that some of cross-town rival Dudley coaches are now in the mix. Winning again starts now. This will not be the same team that teams saw a year ago. Ask Southeast Guilford what happen when they caught them sleeping in their gym.
10. Greensboro Day: This will be the most surprising team in the area. May even
surprise some teams in the Little Four this year. They are loaded with returning
players like Ronatta, Wilkerson and additions of Milton and Williams whom are
transfers from Northern Guilford. They are already off to a winning start by winning their first game.
TEAMS THAT COULD MOVE UP DURING THE YEAR:
Northeast: Always a good solid team that is in the mix. Should fare well in their
Southern Guilford: This could be a major year for this team. They have a bonified
scorer in Kamille Horne and a more polished player in Sylvia Bass, this could bold
well for Southern Fans. They have a plethora of players that makes them deep. Look for tremendous improvement this year and at least break even in conference play.
High Point Central: They have a winning tradition and it should not stop. They lost
some players and then lost one of the best coaches in Guilford County, Kenny Carter. They must now rely on Cox, Bryson and Harris to play a more significant role now that All Conference player Cedrica Gibson has taken her services elsewhere.