GREENSBORO, N.C. – Tyler Mercier and Clayton Hamilton (Greensboro, N.C./Page (Greensboro)) both won twice in Guilford College’s 5-1 win over Old Dominion Athletic Conference rival Lynchburg College Saturday. The contest was shortened by rain as three singles matches were unfinished.
Mercier and Hamilton started their day with an 8-3 win over the Hornets’ Brandon Brown and Jim Rochow at first doubles. Mercier claimed a 6-4, 6-3 win over Brown at first singles and Hamilton downed Derek Kegerreis at second singles, 6-3, 7-6.
Rochow downed Guilford’s Trevor Cox at third singles, 6-4, 6-3, for the Hornet’s lone point.
With the win, Guilford evened its overall record at 7-7 and moved to 4-3 in ODAC matches. Lynchburg fell to 4-9 (2-7 ODAC).
The Quakers are back in action Monday at Roanoke College and close the regular season at Hampden-Sydney Tuesday (4/12) in a match rescheduled from March 28.
Tennis Match Results
Lynchburg vs Guilford
Apr 09, 2011 at Greensboro, NC
(McMichael Centennial Class Courts)
Guilford 5, Lynchburg 1
1. Tyler Mercier (GC) def. Brandon Brown (LC) 6-4, 6-3
2. Clayton Hamilton (GC) def. Derek Kegerreis (LC) 6-3, 7-6
3. Jim Rochow (LC) def. Trevor Cox (GC) 6-4, 6-3
4. Charlie Smith (GC) vs. Brian Nelson (LC) 6-2, 5-5, unfinished
5. Ben Nelson (GC) vs. Cody Crampton (LC) 2-1, unfinished
6. Brandon Johnson (GC) vs. Robert Martin (LC) 3-0, unfinished
1. Tyler Mercier/Clayton Hamilton (GC) def. Brandon Brown/Jim Rochow (LC) 8-3
2. Mark Cheong/Charlie Smith (GC) def. Cody Crampton/Derek Kegerreis (LC) 8-4
3. Ben Nelson/Jody Cox (GC) def. Brian Nelson/Robert Martin (LC) 8-2
Lynchburg 4-9, 2-7 ODAC
Guilford 7-7, 4-3 ODAC
Old Dominion Athletic Conference match
match shortened by rain