HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, Va. – Hampden-Sydney College clinched the number-two seed for the upcoming Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) Men’s Tennis Tournament with a 7-2 victory over visiting Guilford College Wednesday. The Tigers are ranked 11th in the current Campbell’s/Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Division III South Atlantic Region Poll.
The Tigers (9-3, 8-1 ODAC) will host the seventh-seeded Quakers (7-9, 4-5 ODAC) Saturday (4/16) in the tournament’s quarterfinal round at a time to be determined. The semifinals and finals of the eight-team tournament will be held Apr. 22-23 at Washington and Lee University.
While number-one singles specialist Rich Pugh did not play singles, Hampden-Sydney took five of six singles matches and two doubles tilts. Kevin Calhoun won twice for the host Tigers, as did Zach Pack and Ian Sammler.
Guilford’s Tyler Mercier downed Shad Harrell, 6-0, 7-6 (8-6), at first singles and teamed with Clayton Hamilton (Greensboro, N.C./Page (Greensboro)) for an 8-4 first doubles victory over Pugh and Tal Covington.
Hampden-Sydney 7, Guilford 2
1. Tyler Mercier (GC) def. Shad Harrell (HSC) 6-0, 7-6 (8-6)
2. Kevin Calhoun (HSC) def. Clayton Hamilton (GC) 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
3. Tal Covington (HSC) def. Charlie Smith (GC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Zach Pack (HSC) def. Mark Cheong (GC) 6-0, 6-4
5. Ian Sammler (HSC) def. Ben Nelson (GC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Ryan Davis (HSC) def. Brandon Johnson (GC) 7-6 (7-5), 6-0
1. Tyler Mercier/Clayton Hamilton (GC) def. Rich Pugh/Tal Covington (HSC) 8-4
2. Shad Harrell/Kevin Calhoun (HSC) def. Charlie Smith/Mark Cheong (GC) 8-3
3. Zach Pack/Ian Sammler (HSC) def. Ben Nelson/Brandon Johnson (GC) 8-1
Guilford 7-9, 4-5 ODAC
Hampden-Sydney 9-3, 8-1 ODAC; Regional ranking #11
#1 Rich Pugh did not participate in singles
Old Dominion Athletic Conference match