BRIDGEWATER, Va. – Third-seeded Bridgewater College advanced to the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Women’s Tennis Tournament semifinals with a 5-1 quarterfinal victory over visiting Guilford College Sunday.
The Eagles (15-3) captured two of three doubles matches and clinched with three singles wins. Katie Gordon teamed with Katy Bergey for an 8-2 first-doubles triumph over the Quakers’ Mackey Wesner and Natalie Sutton. Gordon lost just one point in a 6-0, 6-1 win over Wesner at first singles and Bergey downed Sutton, 6-0, 6-0, at second singles. Olivia Stone’s 6-0, 6-0 victory over Adelaide Ayres at sixth singles clinched the match.
Guilford’s Nina Bollag and Liz Killion, the Quakers’ lone seniors, ended their college careers on a winning note with an 8-5 win over Ally McConaughy and Emily Schweitzer at second doubles.
Guilford vs Bridgewater
Apr 17, 2011 at Bridgewater, VA
(BC Tennis Courts)
Bridgewater 5, Guilford 1
1. Katie Gordon (BC) def. Mackey Wesner (GC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Katy Bergey (BC) def. Natalie Sutton (GC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Ally McConaughy (BC) vs. Nina Bollag (GC) unfinished
4. Morgan McGhee (BC) vs. Liz Killion (GC) unfinished
5. Amanda Gorby (BC) vs. Anne Mogavero (GC) unfinished
6. Olivia Stone (BC) def. Adelaide Ayres (GC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Katy Bergey/Katie Gordon (BC) def. Mackey Wesner/Natalie Sutton (GC) 8-2
2. Liz Killion/Nina Bollag (GC) def. Ally McConaughy/Emily Schweitzer (BC) 8-5
3. Brittany Wilson/Olivia Stone (BC) def. Adelaide Ayres/Anne Mogavero (GC) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,2,6)
ODAC Tournament Quarterfinal