ELON, N.C. — The Elon men’s basketball team will head to the mountains for a two-game road swing, putting its first-place North Division standing on the line against Southern Conference division rival Western Carolina on Thursday, January 26. The game is set to tip at 7 p.m. in the Ramsey Center in Cullowhee, N.C.
Site: Cullowhee, N.C.
Arena: Ramsey Center
Series: Elon leads, 51-38
Streak: Western Carolina has won three
Radio: WPCM 920 AM — Taylor Durham and Dick Stewart will call the action
• With a 4-3 Southern Conference record, the Phoenix is currently in first place in the North Division.
• Elon is 2-1 on the road against Southern Conference opponents this year.
• After averaging only 58 ppg over a stretch of seven games (12/17-1/14), Elon has scored 80 or more points in the last two contests.
• Elon is 6-1 when scoring 70 or more points and 3-8 when scoring 69 or less points.hoo
• Elon has held opponents to under 40 percent shooting in eight of nine wins this year — but opponents have shot 40 percent or better in all but one of the nine losses.
• Four players are averaging double figures against SoCon foes this year — Lucas Troutman (13.7), Jack Isenbarger (13.1), Drew Spradlin (11.6) and Austin Hamilton (10.6)
• The Phoenix ranks second in the SoCon in field goal percentage defense (.407). Opponents are shooting only 32.6 percent from three-point territory.
• Senior Drew Spradlin has preyed on SoCon opponents during his career, averaging 11.3 ppg over his three and a half years. He has hit 93 triples and shoots 42 percent against league foes.
• Lucas Troutman moved into Elon’s all-time career blocks list with two swats against South Carolina. He is averaging 1.5 bpg, second in the league. The sophomore now has 74 blocks in a year and a half of action and is in seventh place all-time at Elon.
• The Phoenix has shot better than its opponent in all eight wins this year but has won the battle on the glass only three times this season.
LAST TIME OUT
• The Phoenix shot above 45 percent for the second straight game, lighting it up in the second half to overcome a nine-point deficit and defeat Chattanooga, 88-87, in Alumni Gym.
• Elon got double figure scoring from four starters, including career highs from Austin Hamilton (20) and Ryley Beaumont (15). Lucas Troutman led the way with 21 points. Elon starters, made up of freshmen and sophomores, scored 78 of its 88 points.
• Elon hit 10 three-pointers, reaching double digit triples for the second consecutive game after accomplishing the feat only twice in the first 16 games of the year.
ELON VS. WESTERN CAROLINA
• While Elon leads the all-time series against Western Carolina, the Catamounts have won three straight and six of the last eight contests.
• The Phoenix has not won in Cullowhee since a 77-64 victory in Jan. 22, 2007.
• Drew Spradlin and Lucas Troutman both average double figures against Western Carolina. Troutman had 23 points, nine boards and four blocks in the Feb. meeting with WCU last year.
• Western comes into the game losers of five of its last seven contests. The Catamounts are 5-2 at home this year.