GREENSBORO, N.C. – Guilford College’s first-doubles tandem of Clayton Hamilton (Greensboro, N.C./Page (Greensboro)) and Tyler Mercier recorded its fifth straight victory in the Quakers’ 8-1 Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) tennis win over visiting Roanoke College Wednesday.
Guilford claimed all three doubles matches and five of six singles tilts. Mercier won the first singles bout with James Lee, 6-2, 6-1. Hamilton won at third singles over Lewis Young, 6-2, 7-5. Guilford’s Turner Votipka and Colin Rapp were also two-time victors in the win that avenged last year’s setback to the Maroons.
Ian Webster’s 6-3, 6-0 win over Guilford’s Ben Nelson at sixth singles accounted for the Maroons (1-6, 0-2 ODAC) point.
Guilford hosts league-rival Randolph College Saturday (3/17) at 1:00 p.m. on the McMichael Centennial Class Courts.
Tennis Match Results
Roanoke vs Guilford
Mar 14, 2012 at Greensboro, NC
McMichael Centennial Class Courts
Guilford – 8
Roanoke – 1
1. Tyler Mercier (GC) def. James Lee (RC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Turner Votipka (GC) def. Lewis Young (RC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Clayton Hamilton (GC) def. Charlie Graves (RC) 6-2, 7-5
4. Colin Rapp (GC) def. Greg Migliarese (RC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Mark Cheong (GC) def. Chris Migliarese (RC) 7-5, 6-4
6. Ian Webster (RC) def. Ben Nelson (GC) 6-3, 6-0
1. Tyler Mercier/Clayton Hamilton (GC) def. James Lee/Lewis Young (RC) 8-6
2. Colin Rapp/Turner Votipka (GC) def. Charlie Graves/Chris Migliarese (RC) 8-1
3. Ben Nelson/Chris Wilson (GC) def. Greg Migliarese/Matt Osman (RC) 8-6
Roanoke 1-6, 0-2 ODAC
Guilford 5-5, 2-1 ODAC
Old Dominion Athletic Conference match