DANVILLE, Va. – Host Averett University snapped Guilford College’s three-match winning streak with Friday’s 7-2 nonconference men’s tennis victory. The Cougars evened their record at 4-4 overall and Guilford drops to 7-6.
Kirill Orlov won at second singles over Guilford’s Turner Votipka, 6-3, 6-3, and teamed with Iliya Egorov for an 8-4 win over Votipka and Colin Rapp at second doubles. Egorov posted a 7-5, 6-3 triumph over Guilford’s Ben Nelson at third singles. Andrey Yasyr won at fourth singles and teamed with Mikhail Polyakov for an 8-4 third-doubles win over Guilford’s Charlie Smith and Mark Cheong.
Tyler Mercier had a hand in both points for the Quakers. He claimed a 6-2, 6-1 win over Averett’s David Lembke at first singles and teamed with Clayton Hamilton (Greensboro, N.C./Page (Greensboro)) for an 8-6 victory over Lembke and Jyri Hayrinen at first doubles.
Guilford is scheduled to host Southern Virginia University Saturday (3/24) at 2:30 p.m., weather permitting. The Quakers’ match at Bridgewater College, scheduled for Sunday (3/25), has been moved to April 14.
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Averett University
Mar 23, 2012 at Danville, Va.
Averett Tennis Courts
Averett University – 7
Guilford – 2
1. Tyler Mercier (GC) def. LEMBKE, David (AU) 6-2, 6-1
2. ORLOV, Kirill (AU) def. Turner Votipka (GC) 6-3, 6-3
3. HAYRINEN, Jyri (AU) def. Clayton Hamilton (GC) 7-5, 6-2
4. YASYR, Andrey (AU) def. Colin Rapp (GC) 6-2, 6-3
5. POLYAKOV, Mikhail (AU) def. Mark Cheong (GC) 6-0, 6-2
6. EGOROV, Iliya (AU) def. Ben Nelson (GC) 7-5, 6-3
1. Tyler Mercier/Clayton Hamilton (GC) def. LEMBKE, David/HAYRINEN, Jyri (AU) 8-6
2. ORLOV, Kirill/EGOROV, Iliya (AU) def. Turner Votipka/Colin Rapp (GC) 8-4
3. YASYR, Andrey/POLYAKOV, Mikhail (AU) def. Mark Cheong/Charlie Smith (GC) 8-4
Averett University 4-4
7. Blake Brown (GC) def. Julius Noreila (AU) 6-1, 6-1 (exhibition)
8. Byron Hamilton (GC) def. Ryan Atkins (AU) 8-2 (exhibition)