HPU Women’s Soccer Plays Tennessee Tech to a 1-1 Tie

Posted by Press Release on August 24, 2012 at 10:50 pm under College | Comments are off for this article

HIGH POINT, N.C. – The High Point University women’s soccer team opened its home schedule with a 1-1 tie against Tennessee Tech on Friday night at Vert Stadium in High Point, N.C. Junior Becca Hemby scored the lone goal for HPU, her third in as many games.

“I thought that we really got better as the game went along,” head coach Marty Beall said. “We were very sluggish in the first half and their goal really took the wind out of our sails. I thought we were fantastic after halftime though, especially in extra time. We created numerous scoring chances and probably had possession of the ball around 70 percent of the time. Those are things we can take from this game moving forward.”

High Point fell behind early in the game when a free kick from the center circle by TTU’s Leigh Hefner bounced in the box and over High Point keeper Jesse May for a score in the sixth minute.

The Panthers slowly clawed their way back into the game gaining more possession as play continued and in the 34th minute Hemby tied the score with her third goal of the season. HPU earned a free kick in the midfield and sophomore Alise LeCompte delivered the ball into the box. Senior Katie Harris out jumped her marker and headed the ball down to Hemby who slid forward to tap the ball just inside the right post. The junior midfielder has scored all three of High Point’s goals this season.

In the second half, HPU continued to control the run of play, outshooting Tennessee Tech by a 9-5 margin. The Panthers put three shots on goal in the period but were unable to beat TTU keeper Jordan Brown.

With the score tied after 90 minutes the game entered extra time where High Point continued to earn the better scoring chances. In the 95th minute junior Kelli Joline sprang sophomore Jacky Kessler loose in the box behind the Golden Eagles defense. The forward beat the keeper with her shot but the ball hit off the right post and back into play. Five minutes later, Harris got her head on a free kick and hit it down towards the far post but was denied by Brown on a diving save.

High Point controlled the run of play throughout the second half and extra time and finished the game with a 25-11 edge in shots, including a 9-5 lead in shots on goal. In the overtime period HPU outshot Tennessee Tech 10-1.

The Panthers return to the road on Sunday, Aug. 26, when they travel to Statesboro, Ga., to face Georgia Southern at 2 p.m. HPU is 1-0-1 in two games against GSU during the Panthers’ Div. I era. The two teams last met in 2008 in Statesboro when they played to a 4-4 tie.

Comments are closed.