ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “This Week in Elon Athletics” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Live Pink Week
• The Elon University Department of Athletics is partnering with Little Pink Houses of Hope and the Zeta Tau Alpha sorority for “Live Pink Week” over the next six days to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer.
• Little Pink Houses of Hope and Zeta Tau Alpha will have stations set up at several Elon events this week to raise funds and awareness for breast cancer.
Elon at Southern Conference Championships, Saturday, Oct. 27, Charleston, S.C.
• The men’s and women’s programs return to the course after last competing at the Royal XC Challenge and NCAA Pre-Nationals meet on Oct. 12-13.
• Luis Vargas reestablished a new school record in the 8K with his performance at the Royal XC Challenge. Vargas broke his own school record by crossing the line with a time of 24:16, beating his past mark by nearly 30 seconds.
• Elyse Bierut and Allyson Oram ran the second and third fastest times in program history at the NCAA Pre-Nationals meet. Bierut ran a time of 21:50.06, while Oram was right behind her at 21:51.00.
• Last season at the SoCon Championships, the men’s and women’s programs finished sixth and third, respectively. Vargas earned All-SoCon second team and All-SoCon Freshman Team honors as the Phoenix had six total all-conference performances between the men and women.
Football (3-4, 1-3 SoCon)
Elon vs. Furman, Saturday, Oct. 27, at 3 p.m., Rhodes Stadium (Live Pink)
• Elon picked up its seventh straight win over Western Carolina with its 42-31 decision on Homecoming.
• In the win over Western Carolina, senior kicker Adam Shreiner became the program’s all-time leader with 135 career PATs made. He surpassed the total of 130 set by Andrew Wilcox.
• Senior quarterback Thomas Wilson threw for 412 yards and a career-high five touchdowns in the win. He has now thrown for 400+ yards in consecutive outings.
• The Phoenix will be back at Rhodes Stadium this weekend to battle Furman. Elon has won four straight over the Paladins.
Elon at Old Dominion/Outerbanks Collegiate, Monday-Tuesday, October 22-23, Powells Point, N.C.
• Elon is currently playing in the 18-team Old Dominion/Outerbanks Collegiate which got underway on Sunday.
• Junior Stuart Kaufman matched his career-low round of 69 in Sunday’s first round. Kaufman ended the day in a tie for second individually, while the Phoenix sat in a three-way tie for fifth with a 299.
• The maroon and gold is coming off of a tie for fifth at the Donald Ross Intercollegiate where the Phoenix shot an 874 (293-286-295).
Men’s Soccer (10-4-1, 4-2-0 SoCon)
Elon vs. No. 17 Wake Forest, Tuesday, Oct. 23, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field (Live Pink)
Elon at UNCG, Saturday, Oct. 27, at 7 p.m., Greensboro, N.C.
• The Phoenix will play its fifth ranked opponent this season in the 17th-ranked Demon Deacons.
• Elon has notched a 3-1 record this year against ranked competition including a perfect 2-0 mark at home. The Phoenix upset then sixth-ranked Charlotte, 2-0, on Sept. 28 and defeated then No. 22 Furman, 1-0, on Oct. 6 on the home pitch.
• Elon debuted in the first NCAA RPI Report at No. 18 last week. The RPI rankings play a major role in determining the field for the NCAA Tournament.
• Chris Thomas is now five points away from tying Mike Wessels’ all-time mark in points scored in a career. Wessels had 113 points from 1985-88, while Thomas has tallied 108 in his career.
Volleyball (12-13, 5-5 SoCon)
Elon vs. Appalachian State, Friday, Oct. 26, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym (Live Pink)
Elon vs. Western Carolina, Saturday, Oct. 27, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym (Senior Night)
• Elon won both matches last week with a thrilling five-set win over Wofford and a big victory over Furman, the conference’s leading offense.
• The maroon and gold host Appalachian State and Western Carolina this weekend in the team’s final two home matches of the season. Elon has defeated both the Mountaineers and Catamounts at home for the past five years..
• Saturday, Oct. 27, will mark Senior Night for the Elon volleyball program. The Phoenix will honor Ali Deatsch, Celia Rose Eddy, Allison Johnson, Carly Ledbetter and Alli Nogi and their mark on the program prior to the team’s match against Western Carolina.
Elon at Palmetto Intercollegiate, Saturday-Sunday, October 27-28, Kiawah Island, S.C.
• The Phoenix women’s golf team will play in its final tournament of the fall when it participates in the Palmetto Intercollegiate hosted by College of Charleston.
• Elon has finished in the top 10 of each of its previous four tournaments this fall, including a fourth-place showing at the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate in its last event.
Women’s Soccer (6-7-6, 4-2-4 SoCon)
Elon vs. UNCG, Wednesday, Oct. 24, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field (Live Pink)
• The Phoenix closes out the regular season at home on Wednesday against local rival UNCG. Kick is set for 7 p.m. at Rudd Field.
• Elon split a pair of road games this past weekend. Elon claimed a 5-0 win at Chattanooga on Oct. 19 before dropping a hard-fought 2-1 decision at defending league champion Samford on Oct. 21.
• Catherine Brinkman notched two goals over the weekend for the Phoenix against UTC, her first two of the 2012 season.
Elon at Davidson Fall Invitational, Friday, Oct. 26, Davidson, N.C.
• The Elon women’s tennis team closes out its fall campaign on Oct. 26 at the Davidson Fall Invitational.
• Elon had a strong showing at the ITA Carolina Regional in Winston-Salem, N.C., last weekend. The doubles tandem of Jordan Johnston and Frida Jansaker advanced all the way to the quarterfinals of the tournament. The Phoenix also has several players win in singles, including Bryn Khoury and Barbora Lazarova.