ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “This Week in Elon Athletics” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
NCAA Southeast Regional Championships, Friday, Nov. 9, Charlotte, N.C.
• Elon will race in its final meet of the season at the NCAA Southeast Regional Championships on Friday on the course at McAlpine Creek Park.
• The women’s 6K race is scheduled to run at noon, while the men’s 10K race is slated for a 1:15 p.m. start.
• Elon ran at the same course earlier this season in the Charlotte Invitational on Sept. 28. The women finished 5th out of 33 teams at the event while the men were 11th out of 31.
• In last year’s regional meet, the women were 21st at the championships with the men claiming 23rd. Six new times were added to the both program’s all-time performance list from the event.
Football (3-6, 1-5 SoCon)
Elon vs. Samford, Saturday, Nov. 10, at 1:30 p.m., Rhodes Stadium
• Elon will honor its seniors prior to Saturday’s final home game of the year with the Samford Bulldogs.
• The maroon and gold is 7-3 all-time against Samford.
• Last Saturday, quarterback Thomas Wilson eclipsed the 6,000-yard passing mark. He has now passed for 6,127 yards.
• At The Citadel, Wilson completed a career-high 37 passes. He connected with nine different receivers on the afternoon.
Men’s Basketball (0-0)
Elon at Butler, Saturday, Nov. 10, at 2 p.m., Indianapolis, Ind.
• Elon opens the 2012-13 regular season on Saturday, Nov. 10, against Butler inside historic Hinkle Fieldhouse. The game is part of the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational Opening Games and tip is set for 2 p.m.
• The Phoenix won its lone exhibition contest in impressive fashion, topping Ferrum 103-49 on Nov. 3 inside Alumni Gym. Austin Hamilton scored a game-high 19 points for Elon.
• Elon returns four starters from last year’s squad, as the team was predicted to finish 2/3 in the Southern Conference North Division by the league’s head coaches and media, respectively.
Men’s Soccer (13-4-2, 5-2-0 SoCon)
Southern Conference Tournament
No. 1 Elon vs. No. 4 Georgia Southern, Thursday, Nov. 8, at 5 p.m., Cary, N.C. (Semifinals)
TBA vs. TBA, Saturday, Nov. 10, at 7 p.m., Cary, N.C. (Championship)
• Top-seeded Elon advances to the semifinals of the Southern Conference Men’s Soccer Championship for the second straight season and sixth time overall after defeating eighth-seeded Davidson, 2-1, on Saturday in the opening round.
• Gabe Latigue scored his fourth goal of the season, tying the game at 1-1 against the Wildcats. He has scored a goal in the three of the Phoenix’s past four matches in the SoCon tournament.
• Chris Thomas had his eighth game-winner of the year against Davidson with his 22nd goal of the season, the most in the nation. He also broke the program’s all-time school mark for total points with that score, passing Mike Wessels’ record of 113 points from 1985-88. Thomas currently has 114 points in his career for the Phoenix.
• Elon won at Georgia Southern, 4-3, in double overtime earlier this season. The Phoenix has played the Eagles only once in the tournament, defeating GSU 1-0 in last year’s quarterfinals.
USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships, Thursday-Sunday, Nov. 8-11, Flushing, N.Y.
• Elon’s Cameron Silverman heads to Flushing, N.Y., this week to compete in the 32-player USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships.
• Silverman earned an at-large bid to the prestigious national tournament after an impressive run at the ITA Carolina Regional in Cary, N.C., in October. Silverman went 5-1 at regionals and advanced to the singles championship. The junior posted wins over the nation’s top-ranked and 55th-ranked player, as well as the nation’s top freshman.
Volleyball (14-5, 7-7 SoCon)
Elon at UNCG, Thursday, Nov. 8, at 7 p.m., Greensboro, N.C.
Elon at The Citadel, Nov. 10, at 7:30 p.m., Charleston, S.C.
• Elon will play its final two matches of the regular season with road contests at local-rival UNCG and The Citadel.
• The Spartans defeated the Phoenix earlier this season in a five-set match in Alumni Gym. Elon and UNCG are currently tied for second in the SoCon North Division each with a 7-7 conference record, setting up a crucial match Thursday in Fleming Gym.
• The Phoenix has already clinched a spot in the upcoming SoCon Volleyball Tournament for the third straight year. The tournament, which welcomes the top four teams from the league’s two six-team divisions, will take place on Saturday, Nov. 17 – Monday, Nov. 19, in Davidson, N.C.
Women’s Basketball (0-0)
Elon at South Carolina, Friday, Nov. 9, at 7 p.m., Columbia, S.C.
• Elon looked strong in an 83-42 exhibition win over Belmont Abbey on Sunday in Alumni Gym. The team opens the regular season at South Carolina on Friday in Columbia, S.C., before returning for its home opener on Monday, Nov. 12, against VCU.
• Junior Kelsey Harris scored a game-high 18 points in the exhibition win, going 8-for-10 from the field. Senior Kelsey Evans finished with 16 points and 10 boards for a double-double, while sophomore Zora Stephenson knocked down five three-pointers for 15 total points.
• This year’s Phoenix squad was selected to finish fifth in both the SoCon Coaches and Media Preseason Poll. Elon returns nine players from last season’s 16-14 team.