ELON, N.C. – The Elon University women’s tennis team dropped its first dual competition of the season on Wednesday night, Jan. 23, dropping a 7-0 decision to eighth-ranked North Carolina at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
The doubles team of Jordan Johnston and Frida Jansaker suffered their first setback of the season and only their third loss in the last two seasons. The duo dropped an 8-2 decision to North Carolina’s McHale and Dai. UNC completed the sweep at doubles, winning at No. 2 and 3 to take a 1-0 match lead.
Viviana Stavreva battled tough against the Tar Heels’ 101st-ranked Tessa Lyons at the No. 3 singles position. After dropping a 6-2 decision in the first set, Stavreva took Lyons to a tiebreaker in the second, but fell, 7-6 (1).
The Tar Heels clinched the match at No. 6 singles to take a 4-0 lead, as Laura Slater topped Elon’s 119th-ranked Briana Berne in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1.
UNC boasts a nation-best seven ranked singles players and two ranked doubles pairs entering this season.
The Phoenix returns this week with back-to-back matches at the Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center in Greensboro, N.C. The Phoenix takes on Richmond on Friday, Jan. 25, at 3 p.m. before facing Wake Forest on Saturday, Jan. 26, at 4 p.m.
1. #21 Whitney Kay (UNC) def. Jordan Johnston (E) – 6-4, 6-2
2. #36 Caroline Price (UNC) def. Frida Jansaker (E) – 6-2, 6-4
3. #101 Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Viviana Stavreva (E) – 6-2, 7-6 (1)
4. #65 Ashley Dai (UNC) def. Bryn Khoury (E) – 6-1, 6-1
5. Kate Vialle (UNC) def. Barbora Lazarova (E) – 6-0, 6-2
6. Laura Slater (UNC) def. #119 Briana Berne (E) – 6-0, 6-1
1. Lauren McHale/Ashley Dai (UNC) def. Jordan Johnston/Frida Jansaker (E) – 8-3
2. Gina Suarez-Malaguti/ Kate Vialle (UNC) def. Barbora Lazarova/Viviana Stavreva (E) – 8-2
3. Carolina Price/Laura Slater def. Bryn Khoury/Taylor Casey (E) – 8-1