HPU Men’s Lacrosse Falls to Saint Joseph’s on Saturday

Posted by Press Release on February 16, 2013 at 8:17 pm under College | Comments are off for this article

WOODBERRY FOREST, VA – The High Point University men’s lacrosse team lost to Saint Joseph’s, 8-5, on Saturday at a neutral site in Woodberry Forest, Va. Redshirt-freshman Mitchell Dupere scored two goals for High Point and freshman Dan Lomas scored for the fourth straight game.

The Hawks scored four unanswered goals in the fourth quarter to open up an 8-4 lead. Dupere notched his second goal late in the period for final score of 8-5.

“Coach Wray and the Saint Joseph’s team outworked us today,” said head coach Jon Torpey. “They played hard and fought for four quarters to earn a hard-fought victory. We have got to address some deficiencies, come up with some new answers and move forward this week.”

The Panthers fall to 1-3 this season while Saint Joseph’s evens its record at 1-1.

Dupere’s two goals were the first two of his career. Lomas scored his 11th goal of the season in the game. He has scored in all four games this season. Matt Thistle had a goal and an assist and had registered a point in every contest. Thistle also led the team with 10 ground balls.

The Panthers went 15-for-17 on clear attempts and SJU was 16-for-18. High Point won 9-of-16 faceoffs, with all nine wins coming from freshman Jamie Piluso. Piluso also picked up six ground balls.

Austin Geisler made 16 saves in the losing effort. Dustin Keen made nine saves for the Hawks to improve to 2-0 on the season.

Mike Messenger scored the first goal of the game at 13:19 in the second quarter to give HPU the 1-0 lead.

HPU added to its lead in the third quarter. Junior Bucky Smith had a shot go wide. Thistle picked up the ground ball, came around the net and bounced a shot past Saint Joseph’s goalie. Thistle scored with 14:06 on the clock to push HPU’s lead to 2-0.

Saint Joseph’s tied the game in the third quarter. Michael Dougherty shot at the HPU goal, but Geisler came up with the same. Pat Swanick got the ground ball and got the Hawks on the board with a goal at 12:00. Ryan McGee tied the game, 2-2, at 10:37 in the third with anther second-chance goal.

Mitchell Dupere scored his first goal of the season to give HPU a 3-2 lead. Thistle assisted the goal at 4:54 in the third quarter. The Hawks answered three minutes later with a goal by Matthew Franchak.

HPU took a brief 4-3 with a goal by Dan Lomas with 1:02 left in the third quarter. Montrello threaded a perfect pass to Lomas and he was able to catch and shoot all in one motion.

The Hawks tied the game again, 4-4, with seven seconds left in the third quarter. Dougherty scored his second goal of the game for Saint Joseph’s to tie the game at the end of the quarter.

Saint Joseph’s scored four unanswered goals in the fourth quarter. McGee started the scoring with an unassisted goal at 9:59. Smith was called for a cross-check penalty at 7:53 in the period. HPU burned off half of the penalty before Dougherty scored for the Hawks at 7:23 to make it a 6-4 game. McGee added another goal with 4:54 remaining to push SJU’s lead to 7-4. Franchak put in his fourth goal of the game with 2:57 on the clock.

Dupere scored his second goal of the day with 2:28 left in the game, cutting Saint Joseph’s lead to 8-5. Dupere took on his defender one-on-one and scored as he fell to the ground.

High Point will face Bellarmine in Louisville, Ky. on Feb. 23 at 1 p.m. The Knights are 2-0 on the season with wins over Robert Morris and Michigan.

Comments are closed.