ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Men’s Basketball (10-11, 3-3 SoCon)
Elon vs. Western Carolina, Thursday, Jan. 30, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon at Appalachian State, Saturday, Feb. 1, at 2 p.m., Boone, N.C.
• Elon returns to action this week with two games. The Phoenix hosts Western Carolina on Thursday night, Jan. 30, at 7 p.m. before traveling to Boone, N.C., to face Appalachian State on Saturday afternoon, Feb. 1, at 2 p.m.
• Elon sits at 3-3 in Southern Conference play after dropping a pair of games on the road last week at first-place Chattanooga (Jan. 23) and Samford (Jan. 25).
• Entering Thursday’s game against Western Carolina, senior Ryley Beaumont has 973 career points and is looking to become the third current Elon player with over 1,000 career points. If Beaumont reaches the 1,000-point milestone this season, Elon will be the only team in the nation with four 1,000-point scorers on its current roster. Jack Isenbarger, Lucas Troutman and Sebastian Koch all have over 1,000 career points.
Women’s Basketball (8-11, 4-4 SoCon)
Elon at Wofford, Monday, Jan. 27, at 11:30 a.m., Spartanburg, S.C.
Elon vs. UNCG, Saturday, Feb. 1, at 2 p.m., Alumni Gym
• The Phoenix dropped a heartbreaker on Saturday at Furman as the Paladins hit a three with nine seconds left to take a 66-65 win over Elon.
• Elon looks to rebound today at Wofford in an 11:30 a.m. tip as part of the Terriers’ Education Day. The maroon and gold will then return home this weekend to host local-conference rival UNCG on Saturday in Alumni Gym.
• The Phoenix had four players score in double figures at Furman as rookie Lauren Brown finished with a team-high 15 points. Brown was joined by Jenifer Rhodes (14 points), Sam Coffer (13 points) and Kelsey Harris (11 points).
Women’s Track and Field
Elon at Penn State Invitational, Friday – Saturday, Jan. 31 – Feb. 1, University Park, Pa.
• The Phoenix returns to indoor competition this weekend at the Penn State Invitational beginning on Friday, Jan. 31, and concluding on Saturday, Feb. 1.
• Elon won its last meet, the Liberty Open, after scoring 303 points and edging out host and last year’s Big South Indoor Champion Liberty, who finished second with 231 points. The maroon and gold won nine events at Liberty and had several members set new school and personal records.
• Freshman Kimberly Johansen set a new school-record in the 1,000-meter run after winning the event with a time of 2:54.55, nearly 11 seconds better than the previous school mark. Another freshman, Carrie Abraham, won both the high jump and long jump events, while sophomore Sydney Griffin won the 200-meter dash and the 60-meter hurdles