ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Elon at Notre Dame Invitational, Friday, Oct.3, South Bend, Ind.
• The Elon cross country teams returns to the course with a meet at the 58th annual Notre Dame Invitational on Friday, Oct. 3.
• The Phoenix men and women earned runner-up finishes in it last meet at the Adidas XC Challenge on Sept. 19. NC State, who hosted the meet, edged out the maroon and gold in both races.
• Senior Luis Vargas and junior Elyse Bierut were selected as the Colonial Athletic Association Men’s and Women’s Runners of the Week, respectively, last Tuesday. Vargas set a new course record at the Adidas XC Challenge and won his second consecutive race of the year with a time of 14:29 in the men’s 5K run. Bierut set a new school record in the 5K with a time of 17:25 at the Adidas XC Challenge and was fourth overall in the race.
Inside the Huddle Luncheon, Monday, Sept. 29, at 12 p.m., Best Western Plus
Elon Football Live Radio Show, Thursday, Oct. 2, at 7 p.m., Fat Frogg Bar & Grill
Elon vs. New Hampshire, Saturday, Oct. 4, at 1:30 p.m., Rhodes Stadium
• In Saturday’s game at third-ranked Coastal Carolina, senior receiver Kierre Brown set a career high with 125 receiving yards on just five receptions. The Phoenix defense also forced three fumbles and is now +6 in turnover margin on the year.
• Elon will play its first-ever CAA Football game this weekend as the maroon and gold plays host to preseason league favorite New Hampshire at 1:30 p.m.
• UNH is one of five first-time opponents that Elon faces this season. The others are Charlotte, Delaware, Maine and William & Mary.
• Fans can preview this weekend’s tilt with against UNH at either the Inside the Huddle Luncheon on Monday or at the Elon Football Live Radio Show on Thursday. The luncheon is held from noon until 1 p.m. at the Best Western Plus on Huffman Mill Road in Burlington and the cost to attend is $10 and includes a catered lunch by Grill 584. The radio show is broadcast live from the Fat Frogg Bar & Grill in Elon on Thursday from 7-8 p.m. and can be heard live on WPCM 95.1 FM and 920 AM, as well as at elonphoenix.com.
Men’s Soccer (3-3-2)
Elon vs. High Point, Tuesday, Sept. 30, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
Elon vs. Hofstra, Saturday, Oct. 4, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
• Elon hosts a pair of home matches this week with a meeting against Triad rival High Point on Tuesday, Sept. 30, before opening Colonial Athletic Association play for the first time versus Hofstra on Saturday, Oct. 4.
• Tuesday’s match versus the Panthers will be the Phoenix’s fourth meeting of the season against a member of the Big South Conference. Elon was a member of the league from 1999-03.
• The Phoenix is unbeaten at home so far this season with a 1-0-1 record at Rudd Field. Elon pulled out a 1-0 win over West Virginia in its most recent contest on the home pitch on Sept. 14. Junior James Brace scored the lone goal in the contest and has a team-best three goals this season.
Volleyball (5-12, 0-2 CAA)
Elon at James Madison, Thursday, Oct. 2, 7 p.m., Harrisonburg, Va.
Elon at William & Mary, Saturday, Oct. 4, 7 p.m., Williamsburg, Va.
• Elon will make its first conference road trip in the new CAA era when the Phoenix travels to James Madison and William & Mary this week for a pair of matches.
• Thursday will be only the second ever meeting between the Dukes and the Phoenix. The teams last met 14 years ago with JMU taking the match sweep. Prior to arriving at Elon, Phoenix head coach Mary Tendler was an assistant at JMU for three seasons.
• The maroon and gold last played W&M two years ago in the Colonial Challenge in Williamsburg with the Tribe winning, 3-1.
Women’s Soccer (4-6, 0-2 CAA)
Elon at College of Charleston, Friday, Oct. 3, at 7 p.m., Mt. Pleasant, S.C.
Elon at UNCW, Sunday, Oct. 5, at 1 p.m., Wilmington, N.C.
• Elon makes its CAA road debut this weekend with a pair of matches at CofC (Friday) and UNC Wilmington (Sunday).
• The Phoenix played its first ever CAA game at home on Friday, Sept. 26, against preseason favorite Hofstra. Alissa Pantuosco scored the first ever goal against a league opponent in the match.
• Elon has only two remaining home matches this season. The Phoenix hosts Drexel on Oct. 10 before welcoming Delaware to Rudd Field on Oct. 12 for Senior Day.
Elon at Forest Oaks Fall Classic, Monday – Tuesday, Sept. 29 – 30, Greensboro, N.C.
• The Phoenix women will play their second fall tournament this week as UNCG hosts the Forest Oaks Fall Classic. The teams will play two rounds on Monday and one on Tuesday.
• The field is made up of 18 teams, including fellow CAA member UNC Wilmington.
• Elon is coming off a team championship at the William & Mary Invitational in which the Phoenix bested its nearest competitor by 21 strokes. It was the program’s third team title in its last five events.
• Sophomore Kelsey Badmaev earned the first medalist honor of her career at the W&M Invitational and was honored as the CAA Golfer of the Week for her performance.
Wake Forest Invitational, Friday-Sunday, Oct. 3-5, Winston-Salem, N.C.
• Elon resumes fall play this weekend in Winston-Salem, N.C., for the Wake Forest Invitational.
• Elon’s last competition was its home fall tournament, the Elon Fall Invitational, Sept. 12-14.
• Phoenix rookie Olivia Lucas won her flight in Elon’s lone competition of the fall season at the Elon Fall Invitational, winning four straight matches.