Elon Men’s Soccer Ousted by Northeastern in CAA Quarterfinals

Posted by Press Release on November 9, 2014 at 7:02 am under College | Comments are off for this article

ELON, N.C. – The Elon University men’s soccer team was defeated in the quarterfinals of the Colonial Athletic Association Men’s Soccer Championships on Saturday, Nov. 8, by Northeastern, 2-0, at Rudd Field.

The fifth-seeded Huskies (8-10-1) ousted the fourth-seeded Phoenix despite Elon having a commanding 13-3 shot advantage in the second half and an 18-7 edge overall.
The maroon and gold however could not overcome a 2-0 deficit in the opening stanza as the Huskies avenged their 5-0 loss at Elon earlier in the season.

NU’s Ackim Mpofu netted the first score of the contest in the 11th minute on a Huskies’ corner kick. Frantzdy Pierrot headed a pass off the set piece to Mpofu, who then sent in a floater over the head of the Elon defense for his fourth goal of the season.

Elon appeared to have settled in after the goal and looked to add its first score of the match. Samuel McBride almost had a shot go in off an Phoenix free kick in the 15th minute, but the ball sailed wide.

Almost four minutes later, Luis Argudo found himself streaking down the right side of the field with a chance for a shot on goal from about 15 yards out. The Huskies’ defense jumped in front of the ball before Elon committed a foul.

James Brace almost had the equalizer for Elon in the 37th minute with a diving header attempt on a cross, but the ball again sailed wide of the goal.

Northeastern pushed its lead to two scores in the 42nd minute. Pierrot broke free after an Elon defender slipped and went down and raced towards the Phoenix’s goal on the right side before slipping a pass to Marc Greenblatt in the middle of the box. Greenblatt then sent another pass over to Brad Fountain, who was able to maneuver around the scrambling Phoenix defense for his fifth score of the season.

Elon would turn up the pressure offensively in the second half and kept sending numbers forward. NU’s goalkeeper Dylan Faber and the Huskies’ defense were up to the challenge with five total saves in the match.

The Phoenix would end the match with those five shots on target and many other missed opportunities that went too high or wide. Elon’s best chance at a score came between the 67th and 69th minutes as Austin Dunker, Chad Craig and Myles Mansfield each had chances, but neither could find that elusive goal.

In all, the Huskies, who captured the CAA Men’s Soccer Tournament Championship in 2012, gave the Phoenix’s its first postseason defeat at home since 2004. NU advances to face host and No. 1 seed Delaware next Friday, Nov. 14.

Waterman led the Phoenix with four shots with one coming on goal. Argudo and Craig had three attempts apiece with Argudo having two coming on frame.

Comments are closed.