ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Elon at NCAA Southeast Regional Championships, Friday, Nov. 14, at 12 p.m., Louisville, Ky.
• The Phoenix cross country teams will compete at the NCAA Southeast Regionals on Friday, Nov. 14. The women’s 6K race begins at noon followed by the men’s 10K run at 1 p.m.
• The Phoenix women earned its highest finish ever at the Southeast Regionals last season with a ninth-place standing in the meet. Elon returns six of its top seven runners from a year ago at that meet and has been ranked among the top-10 teams in the region all season.
• On the men’s side, senior Luis Vargas became the first Elon runner to earn All-Region honors a season ago at the regional championships. The Angier, N.C., native broke his own school record in the men’s 10K with a time of 29:46.5 and finished 22nd out of 239 competitors. Fellow senior Ari Rothschild set a new personal-record at the meet with his time of 31:58.4, the second-fastest time in school history in the 10K.
Football (1-9, 0-6 CAA)
Inside the Huddle Luncheon, Monday, Nov. 10, at 12 p.m., Best Western Plus
Elon Football Live Radio Show, Thursday, Nov. 13, at 7 p.m., Fat Frogg Bar & Grill
Elon vs. Maine, Saturday, Nov. 15, at 3 p.m., Rhodes Stadium
• In Saturday’s game at #24 William & Mary, Elon’s Marquise Wright blocked two Tribe field goal attempts. In the last three weeks, the Phoenix has now blocked five kicks. From 2011-13, Elon blocked a total of five kicks.
• Elon continues to rank among the best in the nation when it comes to not accruing penalty yardage. The Phoenix leads the CAA and ranks second nationally with only 33.90 penalty yards per game.
• The Phoenix returns home to Rhodes Stadium for the final time in 2014 this weekend as the maroon and gold welcomes in the Maine Black Bears for a 3 p.m. game on Saturday. Prior to kick, Elon will recognize its senior class.
• Fans can preview this weekend’s tilt with at Maine at either the Inside the Huddle Luncheon on Monday or at the Elon Football Live Radio Show on Thursday. The luncheon is held from noon until 1 p.m. at the Best Western Plus on Huffman Mill Road in Burlington and the cost to attend is $10 and includes a catered lunch by Grill 584. The radio show is broadcast live from the Fat Frogg Bar & Grill in Elon on Thursday from 7-8 p.m. and can be heard live on WPCM 95.1 FM and 920 AM, as well as at elonphoenix.com
Elon vs. Florida Atlantic, Friday, Nov. 14, at 8 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. Charlotte, Sunday, Nov. 16, at 5:30 p.m., Alumni Gym
• The Phoenix opens its inaugural season in the Colonial Athletic Association on Friday, Nov. 14, against the Owls of Florida Atlantic. Tip is set for 8 p.m. and the game will be broadcasted on the American Sports Network (ASN).
• Two days later, the Phoenix hosts instate foe Charlotte on Sunday, Nov. 16, at 5:30 p.m. The game will air on ASN.
• Elon topped Emory & Henry, 90-50, on Nov. 7 in its lone exhibition game of the season. Five players scored in doubles figures in the win, including a team-high 14 points from rookie Dmitri Thompson.
Volleyball (6-24, 1-13 CAA)
Elon at Delaware, Friday, Nov. 14, at 7 p.m., Newark, Del.
Elon at Towson, Saturday, Nov. 15, at 7 p.m., Towson, Md.
• Elon plays its final two matches of the regular season this weekend on the road at Delaware and Towson.
• Friday’s match will be the first for the Phoenix against the Blue Hens in Delaware, while Saturday marks the second time Elon was played at Towson in program history.
• Kayla Agae led the team last week with 12 kills, while Kris Harris averaged one block per set with six total blocks.
Elon vs. Anderson, Friday, Nov. 14, at 5 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. Navy, Sunday, Nov. 16, at 2 p.m., Alumni Gym
• Elon officially opens the 2014-15 season this weekend in Alumni Gym with games against Anderson and Navy.
• In its exhibition on Nov. 2, the Phoenix defeated Catawba, 92-49, with a 50 percent shooting mark from the field, including 57.1 percent from three.
• Freshman Shay Burnett led the maroon and gold with 21 points, while senior Zora Stephenson fell just shy of a double-double with 18 points and nine rebounds. Malaya Johnson, another Phoenix rookie, gave Elon three players in double figures with her 14 points.