The “Dudley Decision”:Points to look at as the NCHSAA Makes Final Dudley Decision Today(Deliberations have begun)
*****The NCHSAA Board has heard the second appeal and now the Board is deliberating(11:05am)….Per Patrick Wright(WFMY NEWS 2)*****
Good chance to look all of this over as we await the Final Word from the NCHSAA….
(Points compiled by our Research Committee and word today is no matter what happens, this will be the final Dudley appeal.)
* NCHSAA rules only allow players to participate in the JV and varsity games, during the same week, under the 8 quarter rule. Participation is defined as dressing out for the game.
* Under the 8 quarter rule, freshman and sophomores can participate in the JV and the varsity game during the same week, as long as they have PLAYED in less than 8 quarters of varsity games during that year.
* Juniors are allowed to play JV or varsity, but they can’t play both during the same week. They are not eligible to use the 8 quarter rule.
* Dudley had 4 juniors that played in the JV game on Thursday night and dressed for the varsity game on Friday night – one of the players played 2 snaps. Because the 4 players are juniors and they participated in JV that week, they were ineligible to participate (i.e. dress) in the varsity game Friday.
* The penalty for having ineligible players is a fine and forfeiture of the game where ineligible players participated.
* Dudley self-reported using ineligible players, after the brackets were finalized. (SE may have told Dudley about it, but Dudley agreed because they self-reported the players as ineligible.)
* Under the NCHSAA rules, any forfeit that occurs after the brackets have been finalized and impacts the team’s record and seed, will result in the team being removed from the playoffs.
*****Word from News and Record’s Joe Sirera was saying that Dudley principal Jesse Pratt has said that if today’s appeal is rejected, then Dudley will not pursue further legal remedies.*****