HPU Men’s Soccer Falls In Big South Semifinals To Coastal Carolina

Posted by Press Release on November 15, 2014 at 6:29 am under College | Comments are off for this article

• High Point’s season ended in the Big South semifinals
• Senior Mamadee Nyepon scored on a penalty kick in the 52nd minute
• Redshirt Junior goalie Kody Palmer made six saves for HPU

GREENSBORO, N.C. – The High Point University’s men’s soccer team’s season came to a close on Friday night in Greensboro, falling 4-1 to the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers in the Big South semifinals at Bryan Park. Senior Mamadee Nyepon scored the lone goal for HPU.

“Credit goes to a great team in Coastal Carolina,” head coach Dustin Fonder said. “They came out and found two early goals which put is in a hole going in to halftime. I’m proud of our group for responding, finding a goal right after halftime and fighting all the way until the final whistle.”

The Chanticleers (20-5-1) controlled play in the early part of the match, recording the first six shots of the game in the opening 15 minutes. The Panthers settled things down before a foul in the attacking third gave Coastal an opportunity in the 25th minute. CCU took advantage as Bryce Follensbee headed in a free kick from Ricky Garbanzo to put the Chanticleers in front 1-0.

Coastal doubled its lead in the 41st minute on a goal from Martin Melchor. He received a pass from Shawn McLaws at the top of box and dribbled his way through two defenders before putting the ball low and past High Point goalie Kody Palmer.

Trailing 2-0, High Point came out with renewed energy in the second half and earned a penalty kick in the 52nd minute after drawing a foul in the box. Nyepon stepped to the spot and slammed it into the left side of the net to cut the Coastal Carolina lead in half. However, six minutes later, HPU was whistled for a handball in the box, setting up a penalty shot for Coastal. Ollivier Gueguen took advantage and scored to put the Chanticleers back on top by two, 3-1.

The Chanticleers would add a goal from Agust Arnarson in the 83rd minute to open up a 4-1 lead, which would be the final tally.

CCU held the advantage in shots, 17-6, and shots on goal, 10-3. The Chanticleers took five corner kicks to High Point’s one.

The Panthers finish the season at 10-8-2 and say goodbye to three seniors, including Nyepon, who leaves High Point as the program’s all-time leading scorer.

“We’ll miss our three seniors going out,” Fonder said. “They’ve set forth a winning tradition here at High Point. They brought a lot to this program, not only as players, but also as people. They’ve left behind a legacy of success and we look forward to building off that going into next season.”

Comments are closed.