NORFOLK, Va. – The Elon University men’s tennis team finished its weekend road trip to Virginia with a 5-2 loss to Old Dominion on Sunday, Feb. 5.
“I thought our team grew up a lot this weekend,” Elon head coach Michael Leonard said. “Old Dominion is a talented team, but hopefully we can start converting some of these close matches into wins. I feel like we’re moving in the right direction.”
Salvador Mijares and Felipe Osses-Konig won singles matches to earn points for the Phoenix. Mijares dropped the first set at No. 3 singles but responded by winning the final two sets to claim a 0-6, 6-4, 6-3 victory.
Osses-Konig outlasted Old Dominion’s Javier Maestre in three sets, 6-4, 2-6, 6-1. The win marked Osses-Konig’s second of the season at No. 5 singles.
Louis Rico played in his first match as a Phoenix, drawing into the singles lineup at the No. 6 position. Rico was locked in a tight match against Justin Herrera before falling in three sets.
Elon begins a four-match homestand on Wednesday, Feb. 8, against Liberty. First serve is scheduled for 2 p.m. at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
Old Dominion 5, Elon 2
1. Adam Moundir/Jacob Nicolussi (ODU) vs. Felipe Sarrasague/Mario Paccini (ELON) 5-5
2. Aziz Kijametovic/Jose Nunez Navarro (ODU) def. Petar Tomic/Chris Humphreys (ELON) 6-4
3. Michael Weindl/Javier Maestre (ODU) def. Taylor Foote/Salvador Mijares (ELON) 6-1
1. Adam Moundir (ODU) def. Felipe Sarrasague (ELON) 7-5, 6-2
2. Michael Weindl (ODU) def. Mario Paccini (ELON) 6-3, 6-2
3. Salvador Mijares (ELON) def. Jacob Nicolussi (ODU) 0-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Aziz Kijametovic (ODU) def. Petar Tomic (ELON) 6-2, 7-5
5. Felipe Osses-Konig (ELON) def. Javier Maestre (ODU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
6. Justin Herrera (ODU) def. Louis Rico (ELON) 6-2, 5-7, 10-7