GREENSBORO, N.C. – Salem College’s Grace Wilson scored a 6-3, 6-2, third-singles win over Guilford’s Brooklyn Hopkins to clinch Friday’s nonconference tennis match, 5-4. The Spirits (5-5) won four of six singles matches on a warm, but breezy afternoon on the Quakers’ McMichael Centennial Class Courts.
The Quakers (1-9) took a 2-1 lead after doubles play. Katie Claggett and Nora Prokosch rallied for a 9-8 (7-3) victory at the first flight over Salem’s Wilson and DeAnna Wilkins. Hopkins and Makayla McLaurin shut out Salem’s Courtney Benson and Carmen Wilkins at third doubles, 8-0. Makenna Mason and Lindsay Young earned the Spirits’ first point with an 8-4 win over the Quakers’ Chandler MacDonald and Leigh Fishman.
Salem evened the match early in singles play when Carmen Wilkins won the fifth-singles match over McLaurin, who defaulted due to illness. Guilford’s Maureen Smith picked up a victory at sixth singles when Benson retired after dropping the first set, 7-5.
The score was tied at 3-3 with the top-four singles matches to play. Claggett won the first-singles match over DeAnna Wilkins, 6-1, 6-2, for a short-lived Guilford advantage. Mason knocked off Prokosch at second singles, 6-3, 6-1, before Wilson clinched Salem’s win.
Coach Dave McCain’s Quakers play at league-rival Emory & Henry College April 1 at 1:00 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Salem vs Guilford
Mar 24, 2017 at Greensboro, NC
(McMichael Centennial Class Courts)
Salem 5, Guilford 4
1. Katie Claggett (GC) def. DeAnna Wilkins (SAL) 6-1, 6-2
2. Makenna Mason (SAL) def. Nora Prokosch (GC) 6-3, 6-1
3. Grace Wilson (SAL) def. Brooklyn Hopkins (GC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Lindsay Young (SAL) def. Chandler MacDonald (GC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Carmen Wilkins (SAL) def. Makayla McLaurin (GC), by default
6. Maureen Smith (GC) def. Courtney Benson (SAL) 7-5, retired
1. Katie Claggett/Nora Prokosch (GC) def. DeAnna Wilkins/Grace Wilson (SAL) 9-8 (7-3)
2. Makenna Mason/Lindsay Young (SAL) def. Leigh Fishman/Chandler MacDonald (GC) 8-4
3. Brooklyn Hopkins/Makayla McLaurin (GC) def. Courtney Benson/Carmen Wilkins (SAL) 8-0