EMORY, Va. – Guilford College’s men’s tennis team improved to 5-2 in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) Saturday with a 9-0 road win over Emory & Henry College.
Tate Godwin won at first singles and first doubles for the Quakers (7-5, 5-2 ODAC), who notched their third shutout win of the year. He teamed with Mesa Martorell for an 8-2 victory over Kamil Aliev and Luke Funkhouser and later took down John Dalton Ferguson, 6-1, 7-5, in singles play.
Guilford’s Martorell knocked off Aliev at second singles, 6-0, 6-3.
Graham Pearson had the most dominant day for the Quakers, teaming with Mason Church for an 8-1 third-doubles win over Dalton Shipley and James Watson-Dare, and blanking Watson-Dare at sixth singles, 6-0, 6-0.
Emory & Henry dropped to 2-10 (0-4 ODAC) with its third straight loss.
Coach Dave McCain’s Quakers visit Lynchburg College April 9 for a 2:00 p.m. ODAC match.
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Emory & Henry
Apr 1, 2017 at Emory, Va.
(Richardson Tennis Courts)
Guilford 9, Emory & Henry 0
1. Tate Godwin (GC) def. John Dalton Ferguson (E&HM) 6-1, 7-5
2. Mesa Martorell (GC) def. Kamil Aliev (E&HM) 6-0, 6-3
3. Aaron Smedley (GC) def. Luke Funkhouser (E&HM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Levi Bruff (GC) def. Dalton Shipley (E&HM) 6-0, 6-2
5. Mason Church (GC) def. Grayson McCarty (E&HM) 6-3, 6-1
6. Graham Pearson (GC) def. James Watson-Dare (E&HM) 6-0, 6-0
1. Tate Godwin/Mesa Martorell (GC) def. Kamil Aliev/Luke Funkhouser (E&HM) 8-2
2. Aaron Smedley/Levi Bruff (GC) def. John Dalton Ferguson/Grayson McCarty (E&HM) 8-5
3. Mason Church/Graham Pearson (GC) def. Dalton Shipley/James Watson-Dare (E&HM) 8-1
Guilford 7-5 (5-2 ODAC)
Emory & Henry 2-10 (0-4 ODAC)