WHEN: Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2018 | 7 p.m.
WHERE: High Point, N.C. | Millis Center (1,750)
RECORDS: High Point (5-7, 0-1 Big South) | UNC Asheville (8-6, 1-0)
SERIES RECORD: 52nd meeting, UNC Asheville leads, 30-21
LIVE STATS: Click here
VIDEO: Big South Network
LIVE AUDIO: High Point Panthers Radio Network
GAME NOTES: Click here
HIGH POINT, N.C. — The High Point University men’s basketball team (5-7) opens 2018 by continuing Big South play with a home matchup against UNC Asheville on Wednesday night (Jan. 3). Tip-off at the Millis Center is set for 7 p.m.
Kevin Burke will be back on the call on the High Point Panthers Radio Network on Wednesday, with pre-game coverage beginning approximately at 6:30 p.m. The game will also be broadcast live on the Big South Network.
• This will be the 52nd meeting all-time between to two programs with the Bulldogs leading the series, 30-21. UNC Asheville has won the last three meetings with the last being a 74-71 Bulldog victory in the Millis Center on February 7, 2017. Ricky Madison had a career-high 18 points for the Purple & White.
• The Panthers are coming off a 76-70 loss at Winthrop in the Big South opener for both teams. Junior Andre Fox had a game-high 21 points for HPU, while sophomore Jahaad Proctor added 12 points and seven rebounds.
• High Point recorded a season-high 19 steals at Winthrop, which is the eighth-most in a single game in its Division I history and the third time this season of 15 or more steals. The Panthers lead the Big South and rank sixth in the nation with 10.5 steals per game. High Point also leads the conference in turnover margin at +5.3 (10th in the nation) and turnovers forced at 18.25 per game (11th in the nation).
• Sophomore Jahaad Proctor scored 12 points at Winthrop in his second start after missing five games due to an ankle injury. In his three games back in action, Proctor is averaging 13.0 points, 4.7 rebounds and 3.0 assists.
• The Panthers are shooting 37.3 percent from 3-point range, but have only taken 158 attempts from long range, the second-fewest of the nation. The Purple & White High Point’s point distribution comes mostly from the 2-point variety at 58.0 percent, the 15th-most in the nation.
• High Point has had at least three players in double figures in each of its five wins this season. Four scored in double digits in the Panthers’ 72-61 win at Western Carolina on Dec. 19.
HISTORY vs. UNC ASHEVILLE
High Point trails in the all-time series against UNC Asheville with a 21-30 record in 51 meetings. The Bulldogs have won the past three meetings, including last season’s two games. The Panthers had won the previous four meetings before the Bulldogs’ current streak. Last season, UNC Asheville won 88-58 in Asheville on Jan. 7, 2017 and came away with a close 74-71 victory in the Millis Center on Feb. 4. Ricky Madison led the Panthers with a career-high 18 points in the loss. HPU was down nine late, but Jamal Wright’s running 3-pointer hit the rim at the buzzer.
A LOOK AT THE BULLDOGS (8-6, 1-0 Big South)
UNC Asheville opened up Big South play with an 85-79 win over Campbell in Asheville on Dec. 30. Ahmad Thomas led five Bulldogs in double figures with 24 points, seven rebounds and six assists. MaCio Teague leads UNC Asheville with 14.9 points per game, while Thomas is right behind, averaging 14.7 per contest.
HISTORY vs. IN-STATE OPPONENTS
High Point has complied a 332-276 (.546) record all-time against Division I programs hailing from the Tar Heel State. HPU’s most common opponents are Elon (86-76, .531), Appalachian State (60-36, .625) and Western Carolina (41-23, .641). The majority of those meetings came during the NAIA era. High Point is 81-75 (.519) against Big South programs from North Carolina and 251-201 (.555) against the rest of the state’s Div. I teams. HPU is 1-1 against Division I schools from North Carolina this season, defeating Western Carolina, but falling to Charlotte.
The Panthers continue Big South play on Saturday (Jan. 6) when they host Charleston Southern. Tip-off at the Millis Center is scheduled for 7 p.m.