WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – Elon University men’s tennis put together a strong effort Tuesday night, Jan. 23, but No. 1 Wake Forest flexed its muscles as the top-ranked team in the nation and handed the Phoenix a 7-0 loss at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex.
The loss evens Elon’s record this season at 2-2. Wake Forest, playing its first matches of the season on Tuesday, is 2-0 after beating Coastal Carolina 6-1 earlier in the day.
Though Elon didn’t win a doubles match, all three Phoenix duos put up solid fights in falling 6-4 in all three matches. Felipe Sarrasague and Salvador Mijares paired at No. 2 doubles and took a 2-0 lead early on Borna Gojo and Ian Dempster, but the Demon Deacon duo rallied to take the 6-4 win.
In singles action, freshmen Kyle Frankel and Camilo Ponce battled against their respective nationally-ranked opponents, but both ended up losing their first sets 6-4 and dropping second sets 6-2. Mijares struggled in his first set at No. 4 singles against Rrezart Cungu, but the junior took a 4-1 lead in the second and led 5-3 before Cungu came back to win the tiebreaker 7-1 to finish Wake Forest’s sweep.
Elon will remain on the road this week when it heads to Virginia to battle William & Mary in Williamsburg. First serve is set for 5 p.m. The Phoenix beat the Tribe during the regular season in 2017, but William & Mary took the CAA semifinal match in April at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
1. Borna Gojo (WF) def. Felipe Sarrasague (ELON) 6-3, 6-2
2. #4 Petros Chrysochos (WF) def. Mario Paccini (ELON) 6-2, 6-2
3. #15 Skander Mansouri (WF) def. Kyle Frankel (ELON) 6-4, 6-2
4. Rrezart Cungu (WF) def. Salvador Mijares (ELON) 6-2, 7-6 (7-1)
5. #88 Bar Botzer (WF) def. Camilo Ponce (ELON) 6-4, 6-2
6. Julian Zlobinsky (WF) def. Felipe Osses-Konig (ELON) 6-1, 6-3
1. Petros Chrysochos/Bar Botzer (WF) def. Mario Paccini/Neal Port (ELON) 6-4
2. Borna Gojo/Ian Dempster (WF) def. Felipe Sarrasague/Salvador Mijares (ELON) 6-4
3. Skander Mansouri/Julian Zlobinsky (WF) def. Camilo Ponce/Taylor Foote (ELON) 6-4