WILLIAMSBURG, Va. – Elon University men’s tennis took an early advantage in winning the doubles point, but the Phoenix fell 4-3 on the road Friday night, Jan. 26, at William & Mary.
The loss, Elon’s third in a row, moves the Phoenix to 2-3 overall. William & Mary now stands at 2-0 on the season.
With doubles split following Mario Paccini and Neal Port earning a 6-2 win at No. 1 and a William & Mary win at No. 3, Felipe Sarrasague and Salvador Mijares polished off the Tribe’s Christian Cargill and Louis Newman 6-2 at No. 2 to put the Phoenix ahead 1-0.
In singles, the Tribe tied things at 1-1 with a win at No. 4, but Sarrasague put Elon back on top by topping Cargill 6-4, 6-3 at No. 1. William & Mary then picked up a pair of wins at Nos. 2 and 3 to lead 3-2, but Felipe Osses-Konig knotted the match at 3-3 with a 7-5, 6-4 win over Sebastian Quiros.
Looking to come back from a set down and claim the match for the Phoenix, Camilo Ponce won the second set 6-3 and led 4-1 in the third, but the freshman fell short as Finbar Talcott won five games in a row to win 7-6, 3-6, 6-4 to give William & Mary the 4-3 win.
With its three-match swing away from the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center half over, Elon will head to Jacksonville, Fla., next weekend for a neutral-site match against Troy on Saturday, Feb. 3, and a road match at North Florida on Sunday, Feb. 4. First serve against the Trojans is slated for 1 p.m. and the Phoenix will take on the Ospreys at 12 p.m. Sunday.
1. Felipe Sarrasague (ELON) def. Christian Cargill (WMM) 6-4, 6-3
2. Alec Miller (WMM) def. Mario Paccini (ELON) 6-2, 3-4, retired
3. Lars de Boer (WMM) def. Kyle Frankel (ELON) 6-4, 6-3
4. Louis Newman (WMM) def. Salvador Mijares (ELON) 6-1, 6-4
5. Finbar Talcott (WMM) def. Camilo Ponce (ELON) 7-6, 3-6, 6-4
6. Felipe Osses-Konig (ELON) def. Sebastian Quiros (WMM) 7-5, 6-4
1. Mario Paccini/Neal Port (ELON) def. Tristan Bautil/Michael Chen (WMM) 6-2
2. Felipe Sarrasague/Salvador Mijares (ELON) def. Christian Cargill/Louis Newman (WMM) 6-2
3. Alec Miller/Lars de Boer (WMM) def. Camilo Ponce/Kyle Frankel (ELON) 6-2