ELON, N.C. – In its first home match since January, Elon University men’s tennis swept Appalachian State 7-0 on Sunday, Feb. 18, at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center for head coach Michael Leonard’s 200th career victory.
“It was great to be back home playing on our home courts in front of wonderful fans,” Leonard said. “Our team is improving and I truly feel our best tennis is ahead of us.”
The win pushes Elon to an even 4-4 on the season. Appalachian State fell to 6-3 with the loss. The Phoenix is now 14-4 all-time against its former Southern Conference rival.
The Phoenix claimed the doubles point thanks to wins at Nos. 2 and 3. Felipe Sarrasague and Salvador Mijares defeated ASU’s Alex Pavkovich and Ben Webster 6-2 to start the day at No. 2 before Taylor Foote and Camilo Ponce polished off a 6-4 win at No. 3 over Alex Brea and Campbell Stone at to give the Phoenix a 1-0 lead. At No. 1, Neal Port and Mario Paccini were tied 6-6 with Scott Webster and Milo Bargeron, but the match went unfinished.
In singles play, Felipe Osses-Konig and Paccini quickly made it 3-0 Phoenix in losing just six sets combined. Osses-Konig defeated Stone at No. 5 by the score of 6-1, 6-2 and Paccini topped Webster 6-3, 6-0.
At No. 6, Louis Rico needed three sets, but the match was quick with Rico taking a 6-1, 2-6, 6-2 victory over Blake Carter to clinch the Elon win. Kyle Frankel, Ponce and Sarrasague then went in order to close the sweep with Frankel winning 6-0, 7-6 (2), Ponce winning 6-2, 7-6 (3) and Sarrasague 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (3).
With a quick turnaround, Elon will be back in action Tuesday, Feb. 20, when it heads to Buies Creek, N.C., to face Campbell. First serve is slated for 2 p.m. The match marks Elon’s final road tilt until March 19 at Coastal Carolina.
1. Felipe Sarrasague (ELON) def. Scott Webster (APP) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-3)
2. Mario Paccini(ELON) def. Ben Webster (APP) 6-3, 6-0
3. Kyle Frankel (ELON) def. Milo Bargeron (APP) 6-0, 7-6 (7-2)
4. Camilo Ponce (ELON) def. Alex Pavkovich (APP) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
5. Felipe Osses-Konig (ELON) def. Campbell Stone (APP) 6-1, 6-2
6. Louis Rico (ELON) def. Blake Carter (APP) 6-1, 2-6, 6-2
1. Neal Port/Mario Paccini (ELON) vs. Scott Webster/Milo Bargeron (APP) 6-6, unfinished
2. Felipe Sarrasague/Salvador Mijares (ELON) def. Alex Pavkovich/Ben Webster (APP) 6-2
3. Taylor Foote/Camilo Ponce (ELON) def. Alex Brea/Campbell Stone (APP) 6-4
Appalachian State 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,2,6,3,4,1)