BRIDGEWATER, Va. – Guilford College’s men’s tennis team improved to 7-1 in Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) play Sunday with a 6-3 decision at league-rival Bridgewater College.
The Quakers (10-4, 7-1 ODAC) rallied from a 2-1 deficit after doubles play by winning five-of-six singles bouts. The win helped Guilford keep pace with Virginia Wesleyan University, which also has a 7-1 league mark, and first-place Washington and Lee University (9-0).
The Eagles’ Joe Dillenbeck and Josh Rodgers knocked off Guilford’s top-doubles tandem of Tate Godwin and Graham Pearson, 8-5, to break a 1-1 draw in doubles matches. Nathaniel Horner and Freddie Roberts opened with an 8-4 win over the Quakers’ Kai Glass and Jarad Gandy at third doubles. Guilford’s lone doubles point came from Elijah Gregory and Mason Robb’s 8-3 win over Bridgewater’s Kris Stokes and Emmett Johnson.
Gregory’s 6-2, 6-1 win over Johnson at third singles started the Quakers’ rally. Godwin dispatched of Dillenbeck at first singles, 6-4, 6-1, before Robb finished a three-set triumph over the Eagles’ Rodgers, 6-4, 4-6, 6-1. Pearson’s 6-2, 6-2 win over Roberts at fourth singles clinched the Quakers’ fourth win in five outings. Kai Glass pulled out a 6-4, 7-5 sixth-singles win over Sonet Gandhi to wrap up the Quakers’ scoring.
Bridgewater’s Horner scored his team’s lone singles point with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Guilford’s Chasen Chacon at fifth singles.
Coach Dave McCain’s club returns to action Wednesday (4/25) at Randolph-Macon College.
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Bridgewater (Va.)
Apr 22, 2018 at Bridgewater, Va.
Guilford 6, Bridgewater (Va.) 3
1. Tate Godwin (GC) def. Joe Dillenbeck (BC) 6-4, 6-1
2. Mason Robb (GC) def. Josh Rodgers (BC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
3. Elijah Gregory (GC) def. Emmett Johnson (BC) 6-2, 6-1
4. Graham Pearson (GC) def. Freddie Roberts (BC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Nathaniel Horner (BC) def. Chasen Chacon (GC) 6-3, 6-1
6. Kai Glass (GC) def. Sonet Gandhi (BC) 6-4, 7-5
1. Joe Dillenbeck/Josh Rodgers (BC) def. Graham Pearson/Tate Godwin (GC) 8-5
2. Mason Robb/Elijah Gregory (GC) def. Kris Stokes/Emmett Johnson (BC) 8-3
3. Nathaniel Horner/Freddie Roberts (BC) def. Jarad Gandy/Kai Glass (GC) 8-4
Guilford 10-4, 7-1 ODAC
Bridgewater (Va.) 9-7, 6-3 ODAC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (,3,1,2,4,5,6)
Old Dominion Athletic Conference match