High Point vs. Longwood
WHEN: Wednesday, February 13 | 7 p.m.
WHERE: High Point, N.C. | Millis Center
SERIES RECORD: 34th meeting, HPU leads, 24-9
LIVE STATS: Click Here
AUDIO: High Point Panther Radio Network
GAME NOTES: Click Here
HIGH POINT, N.C. — The High Point University men’s basketball team (13-11, 6-4 Big South) continues Big South play at home against Longwood on Wednesday (Feb. 13). Tip-off at the Millis Center is set for 7 p.m. and the game will be broadcast live on ESPN+.
• This will be the 34th meeting all-time between the programs, with High Point leading the series, 24-9. The Lancers have won the last two meetings, including a 55-51 win on Jan. 24 in Farmville, Va.
• This will be the second time HPU head coach Tubby Smith has faced the Lancers in his head coaching career.
• Last time out, the Panthers came from behind to force overtime, but fell to Radford, 69-66, on Saturday (Feb. 9) in Radford, Va.
• Junior Jahaad Proctor led all scorers with 26 points, the 13th time this season he has recorded 20 or more points. Proctor is third in the Big South with 19.3 points per game.
• Senior Ricky Madison grabbed nine rebounds on Saturday against Radford and now has 15 games this season with eight or more boards. He had four games with eight or more rebounds last season. Madison ranks second in the Big South with 8.1 rebounds per game.
• In three games since returning to the starting lineup, freshman Curtis Holland III is averaging 29.7 minutes, 10.0 points and 4.3 rebounds per game. He had three 3-point field goals against Campbell last Thursday night.
• High Point leads the Big South and ranks 11th in rebounding margin at +7.5 rebounds per game.
• HPU scores 58.9 percent of its points from 2-point field goals, the fourth-highest ratio in the country.
• The Panthers lead the Big South and rank 59th in the country in scoring defense, allowing 66.7 points per game.
HISTORY vs. LONGWOOD
This will be the 34th meeting all-time between the two programs, with High Point leading the series, 24-9. Longwood has won the last two meetings, including earlier this year on Jan. 24, 2019. HPU had a chance to tie the game at 52-50, but the shot bounced off and the Lancers came away with a 55-51 win.
HISTORY vs. OPPONENTS FROM VIRGINIA
High Point has complied a 83-80 (.509) record all-time against Division I programs hailing from the Old Dominion State. HPU’s most common opponents are Radford (21-25), Liberty (17-24) and Longwood (24-9). High Point is 63-58 (.521) against Big South programs from Virginia and 20-22 (.476) against the rest of the state’s Division I teams. HPU is 2-4 against teams from Virginia this season, having defeated Hampton, but falling against William & Mary, Richmond, Longwood and Radford.
TUBBY SMITH vs. LONGWOOD
This will be the second time HPU head coach Tubby Smith has faced the Lancers in his head coaching career. The first game was earlier this year, a Longwood win.
A LOOK AT THE LANCERS
Longwood is 13-13 on the year and 3-8 in Big South play after dropping its last four contests, including an 89-88 overtime decision Thursday (Feb. 7) in Farmville, Va. Isaiah Walton leads the Lancers with 17.8 points per game and 6.5 rebounds per contest, while Shabooty Phillips is averaging 13.7 points per game.
The Panthers continue Big South play when they travel to Hampton, Va., to take on Big South newcomer Hampton on Saturday (Feb. 16). Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on ESPN+.