ELON, N.C. – Elon University men’s tennis cruised to its ninth win of the season on Thursday, March 7, shutting out James Madison 7-0 at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
After winning the doubles point, the Phoenix rolled to wins on courts three, four and one to clinch the victory. Felipe Sarrasgue won his ninth straight singles match at the No. 1 position to clinch the match. Elon then completed the sweep of the Dukes with singles victories on courts six, two and five.
The Phoenix improves to 10-3 overall and remains undefeated at home this season with a 5-0 mark after the win over the Dukes. James Madison falls to 10-4 overall after the loss to Elon.
Elon claimed the early 1-0 advantage in the match after winning the doubles point. After Dino Bonetta and Taylor Foote earned a 6-3 victory on court three, top doubles duo of Sarrasague and Mario Paccini clinched the point with a 7-5 victory on the first court. The second doubles match went unfinished with the set tied 6-6 and James Madison led 7-6 in the tiebreaker.
In singles action, Felipe Osses-Konig finished his contest first as he extended Elon’s advantage to 2-0 with a 6-4, 6-2 on court three. Kyle Frankel was the next to finish as his 6-0, 6-3 win at the No. 4 position put the Phoenix in position to clinch the victory with a 3-0 lead.
Sarrasague would then clinch the Elon victory over James Madison with his 6-2, 6-1 over Pierre Kohler at the No. 1 position. His ninth straight singles win gave the Phoenix a 4-0 lead in the match.
After the match was decided, Taylor Foote battled back to win a third-set tiebreaker after falling in his second set on court six. Paccini then gave Elon a 6-0 lead completing a 6-4, 6-3 win on court two. Camilo Ponce completed the sweep of the Dukes with a 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6) win on court five against William Karpinski.
Elon returns to the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center on Sunday, March 10, to host William & Mary at 2 p.m.
Elon 7, James Madison 0
1. Felipe Sarrasague (ELON) def. Pierre Kohler (JMUM) 6-2, 6-1
2. Mario Paccini (ELON) def. Alvaro Arce (JMUM) 6-4, 6-3
3. Felipe Osses-Konig (ELON) def. Paul Mendoza (JMUM) 6-4, 6-2
4. Kyle Frankel (ELON) def. Gonzalo Adis (JMUM) 6-0, 6-3
5. Camilo Ponce (ELON) def. Damon Roberts (JMUM) 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Taylor Foote (ELON) def. William Karpinski (JMUM) 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6)
1. Felipe Sarrasague/Mario Paccini (ELON) def. Pierre Kohler/Alvaro Arce (JMUM) 7-5
2. Kyle Frankel/Camilo Ponce (ELON) vs. Gonzalo Adis/William Karpinski (JMUM) 6-6 (6-7), unfinished
3. Taylor Foote/Dino Bonetta (ELON) def. Paul Mendoza/Tate Steinour (JMUM) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,4,1,6,2,5)