HIGH POINT, N.C. – Lefty Matt Hodges joins Harrison Smith on the list of High Point University baseball arms to earn Big South Starting Pitcher of the Week honors in 2019. Hodges’ quality start helped the Panthers to clinch a Friday game two victory over Radford this past weekend, keeping the Highlanders to a single knock and dropping his season ERA to 2.13.
Big South Baseball Starting Pitcher of the Week
Matt Hodges | Left-Handed Pitcher | Senior | Tampa, Fla.
• First career Big South Player of the Week honor
• Tossed 6.0 shutout innings in second career start
• Faced just four over the minimum with five strikeouts
• Kept the Highlanders to a single hit, never allowing more than a single base runner per frame
• Threw a career-high 95 pitches to move to 3-0 on the year
Making the second start of his career, senior Matt Hodges stymied the Radford offense this Friday, keeping the hosting Highlanders to a single hit and four base-runners over a six-inning shutout quality start. Hodges threw a career-high 95 pitches while keeping Radford scoreless, never allowing more than a base runner per frame. He struck out five of 22 batters to step in the box, facing just four over the minimum in his third winning decision of 2019.
COMING UP NEXT
Taking one of three games against Radford this weekend, the Panthers clinch a No. 6 seed in this year’s Big South Baseball Tournament in Fayetteville, N.C. They will face off with No. 9 UNC Asheville on Tuesday at 4 PM, after sweeping the Bulldogs in an April home series earlier this year.