http://msjazee.com/wp-json/oembed/1.0/embed?url=http://msjazee.com/contact/ UNCG (12-6, 8-2 SoCon) vs. Elon (12-4-2, 7-2-1 SoCon) TONIGHT at 7 p.m.
– UNC Greensboro hosts Elon TONIGHT in a match of 1 vs. 2 in the Southern Conference standings with the regular-season title and the top seed in the league tournament at stake. Opening kick is set for 7 p.m.
– The Spartans will lock up their fourth straight SoCon regular-season title and the No. 1 seed and home-field advantage in the upcoming league tournament with a win or a tie Thursday. UNCG can finish no worse than third depending on the outcomes of Thursday’s contests. Elon is fighting for its postseason life, as a win would give the Phoenix the regular-season title and the top seed, while a loss could potentially leave it outside of the top four who qualify for the tournament.
– TONIGHT’s match will serve as Senior Day for the Spartans. Seniors Kelly Attayek, Jen Bronson, Lauren Lopez, Heather Mitrisin and Leigh Riordon will be honored before the contest. That group has posted a 57-23-6 overall mark and an astounding 37-2-2 record in Southern Conference play over the last four seasons, with three straight regular-season league crowns and a pair of NCAA tournament appearances to their credit.
– UNCG has never lost to the Phoenix, holding a 13-0 advantage in the all-time series, which began in 1988 with a 5-1 Spartans win. This year’s Elon squad has posted its most wins in school history at the Div. I level, and most period since going 12-5-2 in 1996.
– Last season, UNCG blanked Elon 2-0 on Oct. 30 to complete its third straight unbeaten SoCon slate. Lopez and Katelynn Donovan scored for the Spartans, while Kelsey Kearney posted a pair of saves in picking up her ninth shutout of the season.