GREENSBORO, N.C. – Guilford College’s women’s tennis team split its matches with Spelman College and Lynchburg College Saturday at the McMichael Centennial Class Courts.
Spelman (5-2) swept all three doubles matches and won four of six singles contests for a 7-2 victory in the morning. The Jaguars’ Kemi Oyewole won in straight sets over Guilford’s Mackey Wesner, 6-3, 6-0, at first singles and teamed with Lauren Holloway for an 8-2 victory over Wesner and Natalie Sutton at first doubles. Holloway did not lose a point in a 6-0, 6-0 win over Sutton at second doubles.
Guilford’s Nina Bollag and Liz Killion dropped a narrow 9-7 decision to Adamma and Adanne Ebo at second doubles, but posted singles wins over the Spelman sisters to account for the Quakers’ points.
Bollag and Killion both won twice in the Quakers’ rain-shortened 6-0 win over Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) rival Lynchburg (2-9, 1-9 ODAC) later in the day. The seniors, playing in their final home match, won their second-doubles contest with Jessica Moore and Bridget Rachwal, 8-3. Bollag took a 6-2, 6-2 decision over Lynchburg’s Jeannine Malay at third singles. Killion was a 6-2, 6-0 winner over the Hornets’ Rachwal at fourth singles. Anne Mogavero won at fifth singles for Guilford (8-9, 5-4 ODAC).
Guilford closes the regular season Monday (4/11) at Roanoke College.
Tennis Match Results
Spelman vs Guilford
Apr 09, 2011 at Greensboro, NC
(McMichael Centennial Class Courts)
Spelman 7, Guilford 2
1. Kemi Oyewole (SPEL) def. Mackey Wesner (GC) 6-3, 6-0
2. Lauren Holloway (SPEL) def. Natalie Sutton (GC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Nina Bollag (GC) def. Adamma Ebo (SPEL) 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 10-4
4. Liz Killion (GC) def. Adanne Ebo (SPEL) 6-3, 6-4
5. Sydney Davis (SPEL) def. Anne Mogavero (GC) 2-6, 6-2, 10-7
6. Alana McKinney (SPEL) def. No player (GC), by forfeit
1. Lauren Holloway/Kemi Oyewole (SPEL) def. Mackey Wesner/Natalie Sutton (GC) 8-2
2. Adamma Ebo/Adanne Ebo (SPEL) def. Nina Bollag/Liz Killion (GC) 9-7
3. Sydney Davis/Alana McKinney (SPEL) def. No player/No player (GC), by forfeit
Tennis Match Results
Lynchburg vs Guilford
Apr 09, 2011 at McMichael Centennial Class Courts
Guilford 6, Lynchburg 0
1. Mackey Wesner (GC) vs. Clare Wallendjack (LC) 5-5, unfinished
2. Natalie Sutton (GC) vs. Jessica Moore (LC) unfinished
3. Nina Bollag (GC) def. Jeannine Malay (LC) 6-2, 6-2
4. Liz Killion (GC) def. Bridget Rachwal (LC) 6-2, 6-0
5. Anne Mogavero (GC) def. Gretel Coleman (LC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Adelaide Ayres (GC) vs. Hailey Bettencourt (LC) unfinished
1. Mackey Wesner/Natalie Sutton (GC) def. Clare Wallendjack/Jeannine Malay (LC) 8-6
2. Liz Killion/Nina Bollag (GC) def. Jessica Moore/Bridget Rachwal (LC) 8-3
3. Adelaide Ayres/Anne Mogavero (GC) def. Sarah Fleming/Gretel Coleman (LC) 8-0
Lynchburg 2-9, 1-9 ODAC
Guilford 8-9, 5-4 ODAC
Old Dominion Athletic Conference match
match shortened by rain