MISENHEIMER, N.C. – NCAA Division II member Pfeiffer claimed three narrow doubles matches, which proved a difference in Wednesday’s 8-1 Falcons’ win over visiting Guilford.
Sebatstian Wernecke downed Guilford’s Turner Votipka, 6-3, 6-2, and teamed with Ben Hunter for a 9-7 first-doubles victory over Guilford’s Tyler Mercier and Charlie Smith. The second and third doubles points were also determined in the final game,
Mercier, the reigning Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) Rookie of the Year, scored a 6-3, 6-3 win over Pfeiffer’s Hunter, which accounted for Guilford’s point. Mark Cheong needed a third-set tie break before falling, 6-1, 5-7, 4-10.
Guilford has an important fall contest this Friday (9/16) versus visiting Methodist at 3:00 p.m. on the Guilford College Tennis Courts.
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Pfeiffer
Sep 14, 2011 at Misenheimer, NC
(Knapp Tennis Center)
Pfeiffer 8, Guilford 1
1. Tyler Mercier (GC) def. Ben Hunter (PU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Sebastian Wernecke (PU) def. Turner Votipka (GC) 6-3, 6-2
3. Luis Villalta (PU) def. Charlie Smith (GC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Ethon Lyon (PU) def. Blake Brown (GC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Bret Williams (PU) def. Colin Rapp (GC) 6-4, 6-4
6. Mark Henry (PU) def. Mark Cheong (GC) 6-1, 5-7, 10-4
1. Ben Hunter/Sebastian Wernecke (PU) def. Tyler Mercier/Charlie Smith (GC) 9-7
2. Luis Villalta/Ethon Lyon (PU) def. Colin Rapp/Turner Votipka (GC) 9-7
3. Bret Williams/Mark Henry (PU) def. Blake Brown/Will Matthews (GC) 8-6