Men’s Soccer: Greensboro 0 Washignton & Lee 0 (2OT)

Men’s Soccer Push Unbeaten Streak to Five Games

The Pride battled Washington & Lee to an exciting 0-0 draw at Pride Field on Saturday afternoon. The men move to 4-4-5 on the season with the draw and remain unbeaten at home this season. Greensboro as not been beaten since a 2-0 loss to NC Wesleyan on October 1st. They are 3-1-2 in the month of October.

The first half saw both teams take several good opportunities on goal, but neither school was able to make the break through. Possession was distributed evenly and spread around the entire field. Both teams fought hard from the first whistle in a very physical game.

The Pride’s best opportunity in the first half came in the 39th minute as senior Joe Peluso tracked down a ball deep in General territory and placed an excellent ball in front of the goal. Freshman Taylor Wyatt was able to get passed his man and get his head to the ball, but his shot was directly at the goalkeeper. The General’s best chance came about 10 minutes before when Alex Zelinski found himself alone behind The Pride’s defense, but sophomore goalkeeper Woody Wilder cut down the angle on his shot and it sailed harmlessly wide.

The second half played out much like the first half, with both teams fighting hard and possession evenly distributed. Wilder didn’t have to make alot of saves for Greensboro, but he was very active in the box, cutting off crosses and intercepting throughballs before the General’s offense could develop.

Greensboro had a good opportunity to make a late break through on a corner kick, but two different shots by The Pride were blocked by defenders and junior Patrick Hayes shot was punched over the goal by keeper Ben Petito. Washington & Lee countered The Pride’s attack well and held the ball deep in their attacking end for the last five minutes of the half, but Greensboro’s defense locked up shop and kept the General’s off the board. Freshman Logan Paussa had a late, desperate attempt on goal as he shot from near half with time winding down, but Petito was able to make a save on the strong, long range shot.

Overtime wasn’t much different than regulation, with tough physical play keeping both teams on their toes. Although Greensboro’s offenses didn’t have any great chances, their defense did a superb job keeping the Generals out of the net. Wilder was forced to make two big saves on break aways with less than five minutes remaining in the second overtime and Paussa cleared a redirected cross of the goalline late to preserve the tie.

The Pride outshot Washington & Lee 18-12 and both teams earned four corner kicks. Paussa took a game high five shots, putting three on target, while Peluso, Wyatt, and Colby Johnson each attempted four. Wilder finished the game with six saves and Petito tallied seven.

Greensboro will take their unbeaten streak on the road for a conference match-up against Methodist on October 26th and return home for the season finale against nationally ranked Christopher Newport on October 29th.