ELON, N.C. — The Elon men’s basketball team will be looking to extend its winning streak to four straight while remaining unbeaten in Alumni Gym this season when the Phoenix welcomes the Lynchburg Hornets to campus for a Sunday afternoon showdown. The tip from Robertson Court is set for 2 p.m. on December 11. Students looking to take a break from exam prep can enjoy free homemade cookies and milk when they arrive at the student entrance.
Site: Elon, N.C.
Arena: Alumni Gym
Series: Elon leads, 1-0
Streak: Elon has won one
Radio: WPCM 920 AM — Taylor Durham and Dick Stewart will call the action
• With a 6-2 record, Elon is off to the best start in the last 20 years of Elon basketball. The mark is the best since Elon opened the season 6-2 in 1991-92. With a win against Lynchburg, Elon will open with the best record since the 1990-91 team went 14-2 to begin the year.
• Elon has held opponents to under 40 percent shooting in each one of its wins this year. The Phoenix ranks first in the SoCon and 17th in the country in field goal percentage defense (.367). Opponents are shooting only 27.1 percent from three-point territory — a stat that ranks first in the SoCon and 25th in the nation.
• The Phoenix has shot better than its opponent in all six wins this year but been outrebounded in all but one of its victories.
• While Elon defends the long ball well, the Phoenix also shoots the three-point shot with accuracy. Elon ranks second in the league in three-point field goal percentage (.354).
• Elon has a very well-rounded offense with five players averaging nine or more points per game. Four different players have led the Phoenix in scoring and six different players have been the top rebounder over the eight games.
• Sophomore Jack Isenbarger has caught fire recently. Returning from an early-season injury, Isenbarger is averaging 15.3 ppg and shooting nearly 45 percent from the field in the last three games.
• Lucas Troutman moved into Elon’s all-time career blocks list with two swats against South Carolina. The sophomore now has 59 blocks in just over a year of action and is in ninth place all-time at Elon. He is third in the SoCon with 1.5 bpg.
LAST TIME OUT
• Elon won its fourth straight against UNCG with an 80-72 victory on Monday night.
• With the win, the Phoenix opened SoCon play with a 2-0 record for the first time since the 2006-07 season when Elon began the year with wins against Western Carolina and Furman.
• Lucas Troutman was an efficient 8-of-9 from the field for 19 points as Elon shot 50 percent as a team. Jack Isenbarger also came off the bench to score 19 points in the win.
• Despite foul trouble in the first half, Sebastian Koch came up just one rebound short of a double double with 10 points and nine rebounds.
ELON VS. LYNCHBURG
• Elon and Lynchburg met last year for the first time. Lynchburg is located in Lynchburg, Va., competes at the NCAA Division III level in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference. The Hornets are averaging 93.0 ppg and are coming off a 90-87 loss at Randolph-Macon.