ELON, N.C. — Just days after a thrilling double-overtime win against College of Charleston, the Elon men’s basketball team will be back in Alumni Gym to host The Citadel at 7 p.m. on Saturday evening. The Phoenix is coming down the home stretch of Southern Conference play, sitting in second place in the North Division in the final month of the regular season. Saturday will be Elon’s second game in a three-game home stretch that concludes against league rival Appalachian State on Monday night.
Site: Elon, N.C.
Arena: Alumni Gym
Series: Elon leads, 11-4
Streak: Elon has won three
Radio: WPCM 920 AM — Taylor Durham and Dick Stewart will call the action
• The Phoenix has won three of its last four games and is in the midst of a three-game home stretch that spans five days.
• Elon is aiming for its seventh Southern Conference win of the year which would match its total from all of the 2010-11 season.
• Elon is 7-3 at Alumni Gym this year with three of those victories against SoCon foes.
• Elon is 8-1 when scoring 70 or more points and 3-9 when scoring 69 or less points.
• Over the last five games, Elon is averaging over 80 ppg while only averaging 69.7 ppg on the year.
• Sophomore guard Jack Isenbarger has been a starter the last five games — as a starter he is averaging 21 ppg and 5.2 rpg while shooting 47 percent from the field. Isenbarger has hit 20 three-pointers over the last five games after hitting only five in the previous five contests.
• Elon has held opponents to under 40 percent shooting in nine of 11 wins this year — but opponents have shot 40 percent or better in all but one of the 10 losses.
• The Phoenix ranks second in the SoCon in field goal percentage defense (.412).
• Lucas Troutman moved into Elon’s all-time career blocks list with two swats against South Carolina. He is averaging 1.5 bpg, second in the league. The sophomore now has 77 blocks and is tied for seventh place all-time at Elon.
• The Phoenix has shot better than its opponent in all 11 wins this year.
LAST TIME OUT
• Elon won an overtime game for the first time since the 2008-09 season, defeating College of Charleston 99-98 in double OT. The Phoenix relinquished a 23-point lead but withstood the Cougars’ charge to come away with the win.
• The Phoenix’s last win over CofC in Alumni Gym was also in OT, an 87-86 victory on Feb. 20, 2008.
• Lucas Troutman had a career night with 26 points and seven boards despite fouling out in overtime.
• Elon was without the services of ill point guard Austin Hamilton. Taking his place was Jack Isenbarger who poured in 25 points, added six boards and kicked out six assists in 47 minutes.
• The Phoenix scored 51 first-half points — Elon only netted 44 total points in the Jan. 14 meeting with CofC.
ELON VS. THE CITADEL
• Elon is looking for its fourth consecutive victory over The Citadel after its 70-55 road win in mid-January. The win halted a five-game losing stretch for the Phoenix.
• Elon’s last three meetings with The Citadel have been on the road or at a neutral site. The Phoenix’s last victory against the Bulldogs in Alumni Gym was a 56-54 win on December 6, 2008.
• After scoring 21 points in the first meeting of the year, Drew Spradlin averages 13 ppg in six career games against The Citadel.