WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The Elon men’s tennis team continued its challenging non-conference slate on Saturday morning, suffering a 6-1 defeat to 42nd-ranked Wake Forest at the WFU Indoor Tennis Center. Phoenix sophomore Cameron Silverman earned the lone point for Elon (1-3) with a win over #115 Danny Kreyman in the top singles match. Wake Forest improved to 5-4 on the young season.
The doubles point came down to the match on court one after the teams split matches at number two and three. After Wake Forest’s Danny Kreyman and Adam Lee defeated Jordan Kaufman and Andrew Prince, 8-3, at number two, Elon rookies Stefan Fortmann and Juan Madrid won their second straight match to even things up. Fortmann and Madrid topped Conner Sherwood and Alex Tsai, 8-4. In a tight match on court one, the home team’s David Hopkins and Amogh Prabhakar gave the Demon Deacons the early advantage with an 8-6 victory against Silverman and Eric Turner.
In singles, Turner was forced to retire due to injury. Turner had dropped set one to Prabhakar, but was up 3-0 in the second set when he retired. Wake went up 3-0 with a straight-set victory at number four and then Hopkins provided the match-clinching win with a 6-2, 6-4 defeat of Fortmann on court two.
Two of the final three matches needed a third-set tiebreaker to determine the winner. With the match already decided, a 10-point tiebreak was played instead of a third set. On court five, Kaufman won the first set 6-4, before conceding the second by the same score to Sherwood. In the breaker, Sherwood came away with the 10-8 win.
At number one, Silverman quickly took the first set, 6-3, against Kreyman. The two battled out the second set with Kreyman using a 7-6 (2) score to force the tiebreaker. Silverman finished the match and earned the 6-3, 6-7 (2), 10-7 decision.
Due to the windy, cold conditions, Elon will head back to the Wake Forest Indoor Tennis Center tomorrow morning to host the Princeton Tigers at 10:30 a.m.
#42 Wake Forest 6, Elon 1
1. Cameron Silverman (ELON) def. #115 Danny Kreyman (WF) 6-3, 6-7 (2-7), 1-0 (10-7)
2. David Hopkins (WF) def. Stefan Fortmann (ELON) 6-2, 6-4
3. Amogh Prabhakar (WF) def. Eric Turner (ELON) 6-2, 0-3, retired
4. Adam Lee (WF) def. Juan Madrid (ELON) 6-1, 6-2
5. Conner Sherwood (WF) def. Jordan Kaufman (ELON) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Alex Tsai (WF) def. Carlos Arboleda (ELON) 6-2, 6-3
1. David Hopkins/Amogh Prabhakar (WF) def. Cameron Silverman/Eric Turner (ELON) 8-6
2. Danny Kreyman/Adam Lee (WF) def. Jordan Kaufman/Andrew Prince (ELON) 8-3
3. Stefan Fortmann/Juan Madrid (ELON) def. Conner Sherwood/Alex Tsai (WF) 8-4
Wake Forest 5-4; National ranking #42
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,4,2,6,5,1)