ELON, N.C. — The Elon men’s basketball team will close out a three-game road swing against the Wofford Terriers at the Ben Johnson Arena on Wednesday, February 15 at 7 p.m. The Phoenix is in the hunt for the Southern Conference North Division title, just one game out of first place with two weeks remaining in the regular season. This is the first meeting of the year between the Phoenix and the Terriers.
Site: Spartanburg, S.C.
Arena: Ben Johnson Arena
Series: Elon leads, 29-18
Streak: Wofford has won three
Radio: WPCM 920 AM — Taylor Durham and Dick Stewart will call the action
• The Phoenix is currently one game back of UNCG for the North Division lead heading into the final two weeks of the regular season.
• Elon has dropped three straight on the road with its last win away from Alumni Gym coming on January 26 at Western Carolina.
• A win against Wofford would match Elon’s win total for all of last season (14).
• In the last three contests, Elon has recorded 65 assists on 84 baskets. Jack Isenbarger, filling in for the ill Austin Hamilton, has 15 assists in the last two contests.
• Isenbarger is just one three-pointer away from moving on to Elon’s single-season top 10 list with 61. The single-season record at Elon is 82, set by Matt Nowlin in 2003-04.
• Elon is 3-4 on the road against league foes this year. The Phoenix has never won four SoCon games on the road since joining the league in 2003-04.
• Elon’s eight SoCon victories are the most during the Matt Matheny era and most since a nine-win campaign in 2007-08.
• Elon is 10-3 when scoring 70 or more points and 3-9 when scoring 69 or less points.
• Elon has held opponents to under 40 percent shooting in nine of 13 wins this year — but opponents have shot 40 percent or better in all but one of the 12 losses.
• Lucas Troutman moved into Elon’s all-time career blocks list with two swats against South Carolina. The sophomore now has 80 blocks and is in seventh place all-time at Elon.
• The Phoenix has shot better than its opponent in 11 of its 13 wins this year.
LAST TIME OUT
• Despite hitting 10 second-half three-pointers, Elon could not withstand the Samford Bulldogs, falling 87-78 at the Pete Hanna Center on Saturday. The two teams combined for 26 triples, but Samford shot 60 percent in the first half to build a 10-point advantage that ultimately proved the difference.
• Isenbarger nailed 7-of-14 from beyond the arc, becoming the first Phoenix player to hit at least seven three-pointers since Drew Spradlin knocked down eight against Chattanooga on Jan. 23, 2010.
• Elon shot 49 percent from the field, 52 percent from long range. Samford finished with a 57 percent shooting performance, 44 percent from beyond the arc.
ELON VS. WOFFORD
• Elon and Wofford haven’t met on the hardwood in well over a year as the teams met in early December last season.
• The Phoenix’s last win against Wofford was a 62-55 victory in the 2009 SoCon Tournament.
• The last time Elon won at Wofford was a 70-67 overtime win on February 9, 2008.
• Wofford ended a three-game losing skid with a 66-64 win at Appalachian State on Saturday.