GREENSBORO, N.C. – Visiting Methodist Univ ersity swept Guilford College, 9-0, Saturday in a nonconference women’s tennis match on the Quakers’ McMichael Centennial Class Courts.
The Monarchs (5-2) won all three singles matches and dropped just five points in the process. The second-doubles tandem of Dana Powell and Rachel Purser scored an 8-0 victory.
Methodist took all six singles matches in straight sets, with Kelli Shelton scoring a 6-0, 6-0 shutout of Guilford’s Dominique Crespo at fourth singles. The closest match was at fifth singles where Lauryn Justice prevailed over Guilford’s Meredith Schaeffer, 6-3, 6-2.
Guilford’s women’s tennis team heads to preseason league favorite Washington and Lee University Sunday (3/4) for a 1:00 p.m. Old Dominion Athletic Conference match.
Tennis Match Results
Methodist vs Guilford
Mar 03, 2012 at Greensboro, NC
(McMichael Centennial Class Courts)
Methodist – 9
Guilford – 0
1. MEINDL, Katherine (MU) def. Haley Andrews (GC) 6-2, 6-1
2. PURSER, Rachel (MU) def. Allison Hewitt (GC) 6-0, 6-1
3. POWELL, Dana (MU) def. Natalie Sutton (GC) 6-2, 6-2
4. SHELTON, Kelli (MU) def. Dominique Crespo (GC) 6-0, 6-0
5. JUSTICE, Lauryn (MU) def. Meredith Schaffer (GC) 6-3, 6-2
6. TALLEY, Emily (MU) def. Adelaide Ayres (GC) 6-0, 6-1
1. MEINDL, Katherine/BAKER, Laura (MU) def. Haley Andrews/Allison Hewitt (GC) 8-2
2. POWELL, Dana/PURSER, Rachel (MU) def. Dominique Crespo/Natalie Sutton (GC) 8-0
3. SHELTON, Kelli/BROOKS, Stacey (MU) def. Meredith Schaffer/Adelaide Ayres (GC) 8-3