GREENSBORO, N.C. –Ben Nelson pulled out a 6-2, 5-7, 7-5 victory over Zach Eccher to lift host Guilford College past Emory & Henry College Sunday, 5-4, in Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) tennis action.
Guilford (10-6, 7-1 ODAC) rallied from an early 3-0 deficit to capture its seventh straight league match. The Wasps (13-5, 6-2 ODAC) won all three doubles contests, including Matt Nelson and Adam Henderson’s 8-4 first-doubles triumph over Guilford’s Tyler Mercier and Clayton Hamilton.
The singles matches were tight from top to bottom, with three decided in three sets, including the decisive sixth-singles contest. Emory & Henry’s Chip Wintringham trailed a third-set tiebreaker, 4-2, before reeling off the next five points for a 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (7-4) win over Turner Votipka at second singles. Guilford’s Clayton Hamilton (Greensboro, N.C./Page (Greensboro)) also won a third-set tie break. After dropping the first set, 6-0, he won the second, 6-2, and the third, 7-6 (7-3).
Wintringham’s win at second singles opened a 4-3 Emory & Henry lead. The Quakers’ Mark Cheong knotted the score with a 6-2, 6-4 victory at fifth singles before Nelson pulled out the decisive win. Guilford’s Colin Rapp used a second-set tiebreak for a 6-0, 7-6 (7-4) triumph over Mike Young.
Guilford entertains Southern Virginia University Tuesday (4/3) in a match rescheduled from March 24.
Tennis Match Results
Emory & Henry vs Guilford
Apr 01, 2012 at Greensboro, NC
McMichael Centennial Class Courts
Guilford – 5
Emory & Henry – 4
1. Tyler Mercier (GC) def. Matt Nelson (EHC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Chip Wintringham (EHC) def. Turner Votipka (GC) 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Clayton Hamilton (GC) def. Adam Henderson (EHC) 0-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Colin Rapp (GC) def. Mike Young (EHC) 6-0, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Mark Cheong (GC) def. Webster Gilley (EHC) 6-2, 6-4
6. Ben Nelson (GC) def. Zach Eccher (EHC) 6-2, 5-7, 7-5
1. Matt Nelson/Adam Henderson (EHC) def. Clayton Hamilton/Tyler Mercier (GC) 8-4
2. Chip Wintringham/Mike Young (EHC) def. Turner Votipka/Colin Rapp (GC) 8-5
3. Webster Gilley/Zach Eccher (EHC) def. Ben Nelson/Charlie Smith (GC) 8-6
Emory & Henry 13-5, 6-2 ODAC
Guilford 10-6, 7-1 ODAC
Old Dominion Athletic Conference match