BRIDGEWATER, Va. – Host Bridgewater College pulled out a hard-fought 7-2 Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) men’s tennis win over visiting Guilford College Saturday.
The Eagles (10-5, 7-1 ODAC) gained sole possession of second place in the league standings with the win. Guilford (10-7, 7-2 ODAC) saw its three-match winning streak broken.
Bridgewater won all three doubles contests, including Evan Stack and Brandon Larsen’s 8-4 win over Guilford’s Tyler Mercier and Clayton Hamilton (Greensboro, N.C./Page (Greensboro)) at the number-one flight. Stack also claimed a 6-0, 7-5 decision over Hamilton at third singles.
Guilford’s Tyler Mercier won a three-set decision over Peter Hawkins, 6-4, 4-6, 6-1. Turner Votipka earned the Quakers’ second point when Larsen retired in the second set.
The contest concludes the Quakers’ regular seasons. Coach Dave McCain’s club awaits the announcement of the ODAC Tournament, which begins April 21.
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Bridgewater
Apr 14, 2012 at Bridgewater, Va.
BC Tennis Courts
Bridgewater – 7
Guilford – 2
1. Tyler Mercier (GC) def. Peter Hawkins (BC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
2. Turner Votipka (GC) def. Brandon Larsen (BC) 5-7, 4-0, retired
3. Evan Stack (BC) def. Clayton Hamilton (GC) 6-0, 7-5
4. Brent Floyd (BC) def. Colin Rapp (GC) 7-5, 6-2
5. Christian Lynn (BC) def. Mark Cheong (GC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Sam Churchill (BC) def. Ben Nelson (GC) 6-2, 6-4
1. Evan Stack/Brandon Larsen (BC) def. Tyler Mercier/Clayton Hamilton (GC) 8-4
2. Peter Hawkins/Christian Lynn (BC) def. Turner Votipka/Colin Rapp (GC) 8-6
3. Mike Cable/Brent Floyd (BC) def. Ben Nelson/Charlie Smith (GC) 8-5
Guilford 10-7, 7-2 ODAC
Bridgewater 10-5, 7-1 ODAC
Old Dominion Athletic Conference match