RICHMOND, Va. – Bridgewater College scored a 5-2 victory over Guilford College Saturday in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) Men’s Tennis Tournament. Poor weather moved the action into the Raintree Tennis Club from tournament host Randolph-Macon College.
The second-seeded Eagles (13-5) advance to Saturday’s final against top-seeded Washington and Lee University, a 5-0 winner over Roanoke College Emory & Henry College Saturday. Third-seeded Guilford ends the season with an 11-8 overall record.
Bridgewater collected two of three doubles points with 8-4 wins at second and third doubles. Guilford’s Tyler Mercier and Clayton Hamilton (Greensboro, N.C./Page (Greensboro) pulled out an 8-6 win over Bridgewater’s Evan Stack and Brandon Larsen at first doubles.
The Quakers’ Mercier won the first-singles match, 6-2, 6-3, over the Eagles’ Peter Hawkins to draw Guilford even, but Bridgewater clinched the win by taking the next three singles tilts.
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Bridgewater
Apr 28, 2012 at Richmond, VA
Raintree Tennis Club
Bridgewater – 5
Guilford – 2
1. Tyler Mercier (GC) def. Peter Hawkins (BC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Brandon Larsen (BC) def. Turner Votipka (GC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Evan Stack (BC) def. Clayton Hamilton (GC) 6-3, 6-0
4. Brent Floyd (BC) def. Colin Rapp (GC) 6-4, 6-0
5. Mark Cheong (GC) vs. Christian Lynn (BC) no result
6. Ben Nelson (GC) vs. Sam Churchill (BC) no result
1. Tyler Mercier/Clayton Hamilton (GC) def. Evan Stack/Brandon Larsen (BC) 8-6
2. Peter Hawkins/Christian Lynn (BC) def. Colin Rapp/Turner Votipka (GC) 8-4
3. Brent Floyd/Mike Cable (BC) def. Mark Cheong/Ben Nelson (GC) 8-4
Old Dominion Athletic Conference Tournament Semifinal