ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “This Week in Elon Athletics” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Elon vs. North Carolina Central, Saturday, Sept. 8, at 7 p.m., Rhodes Stadium (Hall of Fame)
• The Phoenix will play the first of 2012’s six home games this week by welcoming in North Carolina Central for the annual Hall of Fame contest.
• Elon is 8-3 all-time against the Eagles, including a 23-22 victory in Durham last season.
• The maroon and gold has won its last three home openers at Rhodes Stadium.
• The 2012 Elon Sports Hall of Fame class of Whit Bryant (baseball), Lakia Hayes (women’s basketball), Kelly Lloyd (softball), Brandon Mason (football) and Derrick Moore (football) will be recognized at half time.
Men’s Soccer (1-1)
Elon at Lipscomb, Friday, Sept. 7, at 8:30 p.m., Nashville, Tenn.
Elon vs. Belmont, Sunday, Sept. 9, at 1 p.m., Nashville, Tenn.
• Elon picked up its first win of the season on Saturday, Sept. 1, knocking off previously unbeaten Campbell by a 3-1 margin at Rudd Field.
• Gabe Latigue knocked in two goals for the Phoenix in the win over the Fighting Camels.
• Chris Thomas earned one assist in the win over Campbell and has registered two goals and two assists on the year. Thomas leads the Southern Conference in points.
Elon at Radford, Tuesday, Sept. 4, at 7 p.m., Radford, Va.
Elon at Duke, Friday, Sept. 7, at 7 p.m., Durham, N.C.
Elon vs. Northeastern, Saturday, Sept. 8, at noon, Durham, N.C.
Elon vs. East Carolina, Saturday, Sept. 8 at 5 p.m., Durham, N.C.
• Elon went 3-1 last week, picking up wins against North Carolina A&T, Gardner-Webb and North Carolina Central.
• Kris Harris led the Phoenix last week with 40 kills, averaging 3.33 kills per set, and finished with a hitting percentage of .395. The sophomore was named to the Elon Phoenix Classic All-Tournament Team along with teammate Celia Rose Eddy.
• The maroon and gold play a mid-week match on Tuesday at Radford, a team which the Phoenix has beaten the last five seasons, before traveling down I-40 for the Duke Challenge against Duke, Northeastern and East Carolina.
Women’s Soccer (1-3-1)
Elon vs. Troy, Friday, Sept. 7, at 5 p.m., Wilmington, N.C.
Elon vs. Campbell, Sunday, Sept. 9, at 2:30 p.m., Wilmington, N.C.
• Elon returns to action this weekend for the UNCW Courtyard Marriott Wilmington Invitational in Wilmington, N.C.
• Elon and Troy have never played prior to this season, while the Phoenix holds an all-time record of 7-2 against Campbell.
• The Phoenix returns home on Sunday, Sept. 16, when it hosts Francis Marion.