ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “This Week in Elon Athletics” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Elon at Georgia Southern, Saturday, Sept. 22, at 6 p.m., Statesboro, Ga.
• Elon improved to 2-1 with a 48-14 victory over West Virginia State on Saturday afternoon.
• Senior wide receiver Aaron Mellette became just the third Elon player (and eighth SoCon player) to eclipse the 3,000-yard receiving mark. Mellette now has 3,034 receiving yards for his career.
• Also reaching a milestone on Saturday was senior quarterback Thomas Wilson. Wilson moved passed 4,000 career passing yards, the fourth Elon QB to ever accomplish that feat. His passing total now stands at 4,038 yards.
• Senior kicker Adam Shreiner also made a move in the record book. Shreiner now sits in second place in Elon history with 38 career field goals and a tie for fifth in program history with 237 career points.
• This week, the Phoenix opens Southern Conference play at Georgia Southern. This will be the sixth time in Elon’s 10 SoCon seasons that it has opened league play against the Eagles.
Men’s Soccer (3-2-0)
Elon at William & Mary, Wednesday, Sept. 19, at 7 p.m., Williamsburg, Va.
Elon vs. Charlotte, Saturday, Sept. 22, at 7 p.m. (Rudd Field)
• Elon’s match at William & Mary will mark the third all-time meeting between the Phoenix and the Tribe with the last coming in 2008.
• On Saturday, the Phoenix will return home to Rudd Field for the first time since defeating Campbell, 3-1, on Sept. 1.
• This week’s games will mark two of three non-conference games before Elon opens SoCon play at Davidson on Friday, Sept. 28.
Elon Fall Invitational, Friday-Sunday, Sept. 21-23, The Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
• The Elon men’s tennis team has its lone home competition of the fall this weekend with the Elon Fall Invitational.
• Cameron Silverman picked up an impressive win last weekend at the Duke Fab Four Invitational in Durham, N.C., topping second-seeded and No. 52-ranked Alexis Heugas from VCU. Silverman won in three sets, 3-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2. Heugas is the highest ranked player Silverman has beaten in his career.
• Brian Kowalski, Jordan Kaufman and Stefan Fortmann also performed well for the maroon and gold at the Duke Fab Four Invitational.
Elon vs. UNCG, Thursday, Sept. 20, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. College of Charleston, Saturday, Sept. 22, 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
• Elon went 2-1 in the Colonial Challenge over the weekend with sweeps of both Hampton and Howard. The Phoenix beat Hampton after dropping a five-set match to the Pirates at the beginning of the season.
• Freshman Megan Gravley and sophomore Chanelle Smith were both named to the Colonial Challenge All-Tournament Team. Gravley led the Phoenix with 37 kills last week, while Smith was second with 30. Both finished the week with three aces and 31 digs.
• The Phoenix opens Southern Conference play this week with a match against division and state-rival UNCG before taking on South Division opponent College of Charelston. The Phoenix and Spartans split its two matches last year with each team taking a five-set win on its own court.
Elon at Great Smokies Intercollegiate, Monday-Tuesday, Sept. 17-18, Waynesville, N.C.
• The Elon women’s golf team opened its 2012-13 season with a sixth-place showing at the Terrier Intercollegiate. Martyna Mierzwa tied for eighth individually to lead the Phoenix.
• The maroon and gold is right back in action this week at the Great Smokies Intercollegiate hosted by SoCon rival Western Carolina.
• This week’s event features 16 teams including SoCon programs from Appalachian State, The Citadel, Samford and Western Carolina.
Women’s Soccer (2-5-2)
Elon at Western Carolina, Friday, Sept. 21, at 7 p.m., Cullowhee, N.C.
Elon vs. Appalachian State, Sunday, Sept. 23, at 2 p.m., Rudd Field
• The Phoenix opens up Southern Conference play this week, beginning with a Friday night tilt at Western Carolina. Elon hosts Appalachian State on Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m.
• Simi Dhaliwal scored twice for the Phoenix this past week and has three goals in Elon’s last four games. Dhaliwal netted the game-winner in the 76th minute in a 1-0 win over Francis Marion on Sunday, Sept. 16, at Rudd Field.
• In her last two starts, Phoenix goalie Kate Murphy is 1-0-1 with 13 saves.