ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “This Week in Elon Athletics” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Elon at Charlotte Invitational, Friday, Sept. 28, Charlotte, N.C.
· Both the women’s and men’s programs are coming off wins at the Elon Invitational on Sept. 15.
· The women’s team has won both of its events this year after capturing the team title at the Demon Deacon Quad in the season-opening meet on August 31.
· Sophomores Haylee Dawe and Luis Vargas were the top runners for the maroon and gold in the Elon Invitational both finishing in second place overall.
Football (2-2, 0-1 SoCon)
Elon vs. Wofford, Saturday, Sept. 29, at 1:30 p.m., Rhodes Stadium (Family Weekend)
• Elon dropped a hard-fought 26-23 decision at 10th-ranked Georgia Southern on Saturday. In that contest, Thomas Wilson posted his fifth career 300-yard passing game, Aaron Mellette caught two touchdown passes and Jonathan Spain made a career-high 16 tackles.
• The Phoenix returns home for family weekend against another top-10 opponent in Wofford. Elon is 11-24 all-time against the Terriers.
• Since moving into Rhodes Stadium for the 2001 season, the maroon has gone 9-2 (including four straight wins) in Family Weekend games.
Elon at Joe Agee Invitational, Monday-Tuesday, Sept. 24-25, Williamsburg, Va.
• Elon will play its second fall tournament at the Joe Agee Invitational hosted by William & Mary this week.
• The tournament features 11 teams and will be contested at The Williamsburg Club.
• The Phoenix finished 13th at the Raines Development Group Intercollegiate in its first event of the year, while John Somers tied for 23rd individually.
Men’s Soccer (5-2-0)
Elon vs. Radford, Tuesday, Sept. 25, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
Elon at Davidson, Friday, Sept. 28, at 7 p.m., Davidson, N.C.
· The men’s soccer team has won five of its last six matches after handing No. 6 Charlotte its first loss of the season on Saturday, Sept. 22. It was Charlotte’s first loss since dropping a 1-0 decision to top-ranked North Carolina in last year’s NCAA National Championship match.
· The Phoenix’s Chris Thomas scored two more goals on Saturday giving him 10 on the season and 40 in his career, trailing only Mike Wessels’ (1985-89) career mark of 43 scores in the Elon record books. Thomas was also named the College Soccer News National Player of the Week.
· Elon’s win over the sixth-ranked 49ers is the program’s highest win versus a ranked opponent in program history, replacing its win over 16th-ranked Furman in last year’s Southern Conference Tournament.
Volleyball (7-10, 0-2 SoCon)
Elon at Western Carolina, Friday, Sept. 27, at 7 p.m., Cullowhee, N.C.
Elon at Appalachian State, Saturday, Sept. 28, at 7 p.m., Boone, N.C.
• The Phoenix looks to grab its first SoCon win of the season this weekend with a trip to the mountains to take on division opponents Western Carolina and Appalachian State.
• Last season, Elon split the home-and-home series with both the Catamounts and Mountaineers with each team winning on its home court.
Women’s Soccer (2-6-3, 0-1-1 SoCon)
Elon vs. The Citadel, Friday, Sept. 28, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
Elon vs. College of Charleston, Sunday, Sept. 30, at 2 p.m., Rudd Field
• The Phoenix women’s soccer team continues its three-match home stand this week with a pair of league contests against The Citadel and College of Charleston.
• Caroline O’Dee scored her first career goal for the Phoenix on Friday night at Western Carolina, while Raychel Diver netted her second goal of the season versus Appalachian State on Sunday at Rudd Field.
• Goalie Kate Murphy has recorded 18 saves in her last two games, included a career-high 11 on Sept. 21 at Western Carolina. Murphy was a preseason All-Southern Conference selection.