ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “This Week in Elon Athletics” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Football (2-4, 0-3 SoCon)
Elon vs. Western Carolina, Saturday, Oct. 20, at 3 p.m., Rhodes Stadium (Homecoming)
• After its bye week, Elon returns to Rhodes Stadium to take on Western Carolina in its Homecoming tilt. The Phoenix is 4-1 in the last five seasons coming off of its bye.
• The maroon and gold is 23-16-2 all-time against WCU and has won each of the last six contests.
• Elon will recognize former tight end Richard McGeorge during the Homecoming game for his recent induction into the College Football Hall of Fame.
Elon at Donald Ross Intercollegiate, Monday-Tuesday, Oct. 15-16, Morganton, N.C.
• The Elon men’s golf team will compete at the Donald Ross Intercollegiate hosted by Appalachian State this week.
• The Phoenix placed ninth in this event a year ago with Stuart Kaufman’s 219 leading the way.
• In its most recent tournament, Elon tied for fifth at the Joe Agee Invitational. Will Dilanni’s 217 tied him for seventh in that field.
Men’s Soccer (9-3-1, 3-1 SoCon)
Elon vs. College of Charleston, Tuesday, Oct. 16, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
Elon at Appalachian State, Friday, Oct. 20, at 7 p.m., Boone, N.C.
• The Phoenix entered the national polls for the first time since 2006 debuting at #20 in the most recent rankings.
• Junior midfielder Matt Wescoe had three goals last week, including a header golden goal in Elon’s 4-3 double overtime win at Georgia Southern on last Friday.
• Sophomore forward Jason Waterman earned his first start of the season against the Eagles and responded with two first half goals, his first scores of the 2012 campaign.
• Senior forward Chris Thomas assisted on both of Waterman’s goals for his first multi-assist game of the season. Thomas also added his 17th goal of the season in that match extending his single-season record in that category.
ITA Regionals, Thursday-Sunday, Oct. 18-21, Cary, N.C.
• The Elon men’s tennis team concluded its fall season this week with the ITA Regionals in Cary, N.C.
• The Phoenix last competed at the Wake Forest Fall Invitational this past weekend, as Cameron Silverman and Stefan Fortmann beat Wake’s 17th-ranked squad of David Hopkins and Amogh Prabhakar to win the doubles title. Silverman and Fortmann also topped UNCW’s 57th-ranked team of Chris Cooprider and Kosta Blank earlier in the tournament.
Volleyball (10-13, 3-5 SoCon)
Elon vs. Wofford, Friday, Oct. 19, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. Furman, Saturday, Oct. 20, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
• Elon picked up its first win at Davidson in five years last week with a 3-1 (18-25, 29-27, 27-25, 25-10) victory in Belk Arena.
• Senior Celia Rose Eddy recorded 15 blocks last week, including four solo, to average 1.67 blocks per set. The maroon and gold averaged three blocks per set in its three matches last week, while opponents averaged two.
• The Phoenix have split its last two matches against the Furman Paladins, while riding a nine-match winning streak against the Terriers from Wofford.
Women’s Soccer (5-6-6, 3-1-4 SoCon)
Elon at Chattanooga, Friday, Oct. 19, at 7 p.m., Chattanooga, Tenn.
Elon at Samford, Sunday, Oct. 21, at 3 p.m., Birmingham, Ala.
• The Elon women’s soccer team is back on the road this week with a pair of key Southern Conference games at Chattanooga and Samford.
• The Phoenix went 1-0-1 last week with a pair of shutouts. Elon topped Georgia Southern 1-0 on Friday night before battling Davidson to a scoreless draw on Sunday.
• Goalie Kate Murphy now has six shutouts this season. Murphy earned the clean slate in both matches for the Phoenix last week, going for a combined 14 saves in two matches.
ITA Regionals, Thursday-Sunday, Oct. 18-21, Winston-Salem, N.C.
• The Elon women’s tennis teams wraps up its fall season this week with the ITA Regionals at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex in Winston-Salem, N.C.
• Elon’s last competition was on the same courts, as the Phoenix claimed a pair of titles at the Wake Forest Fall Invitational on Oct. 7. Bryn Khoury and Briana Berne both went on to singles championships at the tournament.