ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “This Week in Elon Athletics” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Football (3-7, 1-6 SoCon)
Elon at Chattanooga, Saturday, Nov. 17, at 2 p.m., Chattanooga, Tenn.
• With his 22nd career 100-yard receiving game on Saturday, Aaron Mellette eclipsed the 4,000-yard receiving mark. He is just the second receiver in the history of the Southern Conference to accomplish that feat.
• Linebacker Jonathan Spain made 20 tackles against Samford. It marked the first 20+ tackle game by an Elon player since Corey Weaver’s 25-tackle performance at Appalachian State in Sept. 2006.
• The Phoenix will close the year at Chattanooga where the maroon and gold is 4-0 all-time.
Men’s Basketball (0-1)
Elon vs. Bridgewater, Tuesday, Nov. 13, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. Colgate, Saturday, Nov. 17, at 2 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. TBD, Sunday, Nov. 18, at 4:30 p.m., Alumni Gym
• Elon takes the hardwood in Alumni Gym for the first time this season on Tuesday night at 7 p.m. when the Phoenix hosts Bridgewater.
• Elon hosts the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational Regional Games this weekend, Nov. 17-18, when it welcomes Colgate, Coppin State and Florida Atlantic to campus. Elon will play Colgate on Saturday, Nov. 17, at 2 p.m. before facing Coppin State or Florida Atlantic a day later at 4:30 p.m.
• The Phoenix’s second-half surge at Butler came up just short on Saturday, Nov. 10, as Elon dropped a 74-59 decision to the Bulldogs in the Maui Invitational Opening Games. Elon erased an 18-point deficit to pull within four points in the second half, but could get no closer.
Men’s Soccer (15-4-2)
First Round NCAA Tournament – TBD
• The Phoenix captured its second consecutive Southern Conference Tournament Championship on Saturday with a 2-1 win over Wofford. The win in the title match gave Elon the league’s regular season outright title and conference title for the first time in the program’s history.
• Gabe Latigue was named the tournament’s most outstanding player with teammates Daniel Lovitz, Chris Thomas and Matt Wescoe joining him on the all-tournament team.
• Elon will find out its first opponent in the NCAA Tournament during the selection show on Monday, Nov. 12, at 5:30 p.m. The team and fans will gather at the Fat Frogg in Elon to view the live selection show on ncaa.com.
Volleyball (16-15, 9-7 SoCon)
Southern Conference Tournament
#2 North Seed Elon vs. #3 South Seed Furman, Saturday, Nov. 17, at 10 a.m., Davidson, N.C.
• Elon received the North Division’s #2 seed in the 2012 Southern Conference Volleyball Tournament after posting a 9-7 regular-season conference record. This is the team’s third straight appearance in the tournament.
• The Phoenix will face the South Division’s #3 seed in Furman. Elon beat the Paladins earlier this season, 3-1, in Alumni Gym.
• Elon finished the regular season last week with wins over both UNCG and The Citadel. Senior Ali Deatsch tallied 47 digs in seven sets to average an impressive 6.71 per set, while also recording four aces.
Women’s Basketball (0-1)
Elon vs. VCU, Monday, Nov. 12, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. UNC Wilmington, Sunday, Nov. 18, at 7 p.m. Alumni Gym
• Elon fell at South Carolina in its season opener on Friday, 77-44. Shon Redmond led the maroon and gold with 10 points, while Kelsey Harris pulled down a team-high nine boards.
• The Phoenix welcome the Rams of VCU to Alumni Gym on Monday for its home opener, which is the beginning of four game home stand for the maroon and gold.
• In honor of our service men and women, all active and retired military members will get in free to Elon’s game against VCU with a military ID.