GOLDSBORO– The baseball clinic run by North Carolina High School Athletic Association Hall of Famer George Whitfield is set for its 41st annual renewal.
The clinic is scheduled for Goldsboro High School on Saturday, January 12, 2013 and features another tremendous lineup. Registration is scheduled from 7:30 to 9:00 a.m, and then the clinic will run until 6 p.m.
The clinic is open to all players from Little League through high school, and all coaches at any level are welcome.
Ron Polk, the assistant baseball coach at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, will be the kickoff speaker at 9:05 am, followed by Dr. Chris Hasty and Trey Mooring, who will speak on injury prevention for today’s baseball players.
Here are some of the other outstanding baseball people and topics that will be covered at this annual event:
• “What College Coaches Are Looking for in Today’s Athletes” will be discussed by UNC-Greensboro assistant coach Matt Boykin, East Carolina head coach Billy Godwin, Georgia Southern assistant Chris Moore, Liberty assistant Garrett Quinn and Louisburg College head coach Keith Shumate.
• ”Practice Organization for the High School Coach” will include Tony Guzzo, head coach at Nash Central High School, and Appalachian State head coach Billy Jones.
• “Indoor and On-Field Drills To Become a Better Player” will be presented by Campbell head coach Greg Goff, Richmond assistant coaches Tag Montague and Tanner Biagini, and Mount Olive assistant Rob Watt.
• Pitching will be covered by Shenandoah University head coach Kevin Anderson, Pitt Community College head coach Tommy Eason, North Carolina assistant coach Scott Forbes; Sam Narron, pitching coach for the Auburn Doubledays in the Washington National minor league organization; and Dan Roszel, East Carolina assistant coach.
• Catching will feature Virginia Commonwealth assistant Kurt Elbin, Eastern Wayne High School head coach James Fulghum, Duke assistant J.J. Jordan, Virginia assistant Matt Kirby, and Virginia Military Institute assistant Michael Roberts.
• Infield play instructors will be Central Florida retired head coach Jay Bergman, UNC-Wilmington head coach Mark Scalf, Brunswick Community College head coach Robbie Allen, U.S. Military Academy assistant coach Matt Reid, and Michigan assistant Nick Schnabel.
• Outfield play will be covered by Methodist head coach Tom Austin; retired Ohio University head coach Joe Carbone; Paul Faulk, a scout for the Washington Nationals; Mount Olive head coach Carl Lancaster, and East Carolina assistant Ben Sanderson.
• Base Running will be discussed by Dave Bristol, former major league manager with the Reds, Brewers, Braves and Giants; Catawba head coach Jim Gantt; High Point assistant Bryan Peters, UNC-Asheville head coach Tom Smith and Wake Forest head coach Tom Walter.
• Hitting instructors will be retired Virginia Tech head coach Chuck Hartman; Campbell assistant Justin Haire, College of Charleston assistant Matt Heath, UNC-Greensboro head coach Link Jarrett, and N.C. State assistant Brian Ward.
Coach Whitfield will mail information to schools across the state in November. The only charge for the clinic is a pre-registration fee of $60 per person, which includes lunch. Any school or team that registers six or more people will be charged $50 per person.
Registration at the door will be $70.
Players 15 years of age and under may have their fathers attend for free, and they can eat lunch for just seven dollars.
Questions about the clinic may be directed to George at (919) 778-6013 or write him at 216 Hardingwood Drive, Goldsboro, NC 27534.