ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “This Week in Elon Athletics” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Men’s Basketball (13-7, 6-2)
Elon at UNCG, Thursday, Jan. 31, at 7 p.m., Greensboro, N.C.
Elon vs. Samford, Saturday, Feb. 2, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
• Elon has won five consecutive games after wins over Chattanooga and The Citadel this past week.
• Junior guard Jack Isenbarger averaged 22.5 points over the two-game stretch and scored his 1,000th career point in a win over Chattanooga on Thursday night. Isenbarger is only the 35th player in 104 years of Elon men’s basketball to reach the milestone.
• Following Thursday night’s game at Triad rival UNCG, the Phoenix returns home to Alumni Gym on Saturday night for a key conference showdown with Samford.
Men’s Tennis (0-1)
Elon at Campbell, Wednesday, Jan. 30, at 1:30 p.m., Buies Creek, N.C.
• The Phoenix returns to action this week with a dual match at Campbell on Wednesday, Jan. 30.
• Elon has two players nationally ranked in singles as well as one doubles team. Cameron Silverman earned a No. 21 preseason ranking by the ITA, while Stefan Fortmann earned a No. 117 preseason ranking. As a doubles team, they rank 22nd in the nation.
• Elon’s first home match is a Feb. 16 doubleheader against Wingate and Washington & Lee.
Track and Field
Elon at Gene Anderson Invitational, Saturday, Feb. 2, Chapel Hill, N.C.
• Charlise Morgan extended her school-record in the weight throw with a toss of 52’01” (15.87m) for the Phoenix at the Penn State National on Friday, Jan. 25.
• Emily Tryon broke her own program-record in the 3,000-meter run at Penn State with a time of 10:03.87 and finished seventh overall.
• Tereza Novotna and Allyson Oram ran times of 10:04.13 and 10:07.73, respectively, in the 3,000-meter run, the second and third fastest times on the all-time performance list.
•Christine Pacewicz set a new personal-record in the one-mile run after crossing the line with a time of 5:11.80, breaking into the top-five on the all-time performance list.
Women’s Basketball (10-8, 7-2)
Elon vs. Georgia Southern, Monday, Jan. 28, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon at Appalachian State, Saturday, Feb. 2, at 2 p.m., Boone, N.C, (ESPN3.com)
• Elon will look to extend its 2013 home record to 5-0 when it hosts Georgia Southern Monday in Alumni Gym. The Phoenix is 7-2 at home this season and currently on a five-game winning streak on its home court.
• The Phoenix looks to get back on track against the Eagles after falling at Davidson on Saturday. Kelsey Evans is one block shy of breaking Elon’s all-time blocked shots record, while Ali Ford needs four three pointers to set the new Southern Conference record.
• Sam Coffer had an impressive game against the Wildcats last week, going 5-of-7 from the field, including a perfect 4-for-4 from beyond the arc, to finish with 16 points. She also went 2-for-2 from the charity stripe.