ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “This Week in Elon Athletics” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Football Signing Day Luncheon
Wednesday, Feb. 6, at noon, Best Western Plus (Burlington, N.C.)
• Elon will hold its annual Football Signing Day Luncheon on Wednesday, Feb. 6, at noon at the Best Western Plus on Huffman Mill Road.
• Cost is $10 per person and includes a catered meal from Grill 584.
• The Phoenix football staff will be on hand to talk about the new signing class and show video highlights of the incoming class.
Men’s Basketball (15-7, 8-2 Socon)
Elon at Wofford, Thursday, Feb. 7, at 7 p.m., Spartanburg, S.C.
Elon at Furman, Saturday, Feb. 9, at 4 p.m., Greenville, S.C.
• The Phoenix carries a seven-game winning streak to Spartanburg, S.C., on Thursday when it takes on the Wofford Terriers. The streak marks the longest since the 2005-06 team won seven in a row.
• Lucas Troutman scored his 1,000th-career point on Saturday night in a 77-66 win against Samford, as the junior from Belton, S.C., tied a career-high with 26 points to go along with 10 boards and six blocks.
• Following back-to-back games at Wofford (Feb. 7) and Furman (Feb. 9), Elon returns home for a Valentine’s Day matchup with in-state rival Appalachian State on Feb. 14.
Men’s Tennis (1-1)
Elon at NC State, Friday, Feb. 8, at 4 p.m., Raleigh, N.C.
Elon at Wake Forest, Sunday, Feb. 10, at 6 p.m., Winston-Salem, N.C.
• The Phoenix hits the road for two contests against ACC opponents this week when it faces NC State (Feb. 8) and Wake Forest (Feb. 10).
• Elon earned a 4-3 win at Campbell in its last match, its first dual victory of the 2013 season.
• Elon has two players nationally ranked in singles and one double team, as Cameron Silverman ranked No. 22 in the nation in singles, while Stefan Fortmann ranks 117th in the nation. As a doubles team, the duo ranked No. 21 in the country, according to the ITA.
UGA Red and Black Showcase
Elon vs. Ohio State, Friday, Feb. 8, at 12:30 p.m., Athens, Ga.
Elon at Georgia, Friday, Feb. 8, at 3 p.m., Athens, Ga.
Elon at Georgia, Saturday, Feb. 9, at 12:30 p.m., Athens, Ga.
Elon vs. Winthrop, Saturday, Feb. 9, at 5:30 p.m., Athens, Ga.
• The Elon softball team opens its season this Friday at Georgia in the Red and Black Showcase.
• The Phoenix returns 14 players from 2012’s team along with six newcomers.
• Outfielders Tomeka Watson and Carleigh Nester were named to the preseason All-SoCon teams last week. Watson received first team accolades, while Nester was placed on the second team.
Track and Field
Elon at Liberty Quad, Friday, Feb. 8, Lynchburg, Va.
Elon at Tyson Indoor Invitational, Feb. 8-9, Fayetteville, Ark.
• The Phoenix returns to its second meet of the indoor season at Liberty. Elon began its 2012-13 campaign at the Liberty Kickoff on Dec. 1.
• The women’s 4×400 team of Bria Bell, Veronica Luedke, Jennifer Pash and Louise Prevoteau won the event title with a time of 4:00.28 at the Gene Anderson Invitational last weekend.
• Freshman Megan Kirschling will compete as an individual at the Tyson Indoor Invitational. Kirschling broke her own school record in the high jump with a cleared height of 5’10” (1.78m) at the Gene Anderson Invitational last Saturday finishing as the runner-up.
Women’s Basketball (11-9, 8-3 SoCon)
Elon vs. Western Carolina, Monday, Feb. 4, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym (Play 4Kay)
Elon at Chattanooga, Saturday, Feb. 9, at 5 p.m., Chattanooga, Tenn.
• Elon will host its annual Play 4Kay game on Monday against Western Carolina. All fans are encouraged to wear pink to the game, while the players will wear pink shoes.
• The Phoenix defeated the Catamounts earlier this season, 64-48, in Cullowhee, N.C. Kelsey Evans and Ali Ford both scored 14 points in the contest.
• Ford is currently leading the Southern Conference with 17.1 points per game. The senior has scored in double figures in 19 games this season, while scoring 20+ points in eight games.
Women’s Tennis (2-1)
Elon at Gardner-Webb, Monday, Feb. 4, at 2 p.m., Boiling Springs, N.C.
Elon vs. NC Central, Saturday, Feb. 9, at 9:30 a.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
Elon vs. NC Wesleyan, Saturday, Feb. 9, at 2:30 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
• Following a road match at Gardner-Webb today, the Phoenix returns home this weekend for a doubleheader on Saturday, Feb. 9, against NC Central and NC Wesleyan.
• The Phoenix earned a 4-3 win over Wake Forest on Jan. 26, coming back from 3-1 down for the upset win. It marked Elon’s first victory over Wake and first versus an ACC opponent.
• The doubles team of Jordan Johnston and Frida Jansaker has been outstanding thus far this season, posting a 5-1 record at the No. 1 position.